Thread: Need help.

Need help.

So just this year I added a helix 12 to the console, a helix 12 to the bow with mega 360, ultrex with the mega di transducer and my older 1199 at the bow for mapping only.

All units have a dedicated 10 Guage marine wire direct to the battery, the mega 360 is powered through a 12 Guage wire. All units are networked through an ethernet hub.

When first installed everything appeared to function properly. Now I keep getting notifications that 2d sonar is lost, the mega 360 is lost, the units will freeze up. The only thing that is not giving me issues is my old unit.

Yesterday during a tournament they lasted a whopping ten minutes. I unplugged the y cable from the unit and just plugged my trolling motor into the unit and it seemed to work fine. A couple glitches here and there, keeps saying 360 lost, and yes the u cable is the mega di/360 cable.

Also with the y cable plugged in, it doesn't show that unit for 2d sonar, all it will read is the console unit.

Thanks alot, this is really frustrating with the amount of money this stuff costs i just want it working properly.

2. Member
    What is the voltage supply to the units? Did you run dedicated wire for the new units or just tied it into the boats existing wiring?

Default for the MEGA 360 is the MEGA 360 alone, you have to select the combo of transducers to get 2D/Depth and DI using the MEGA 360 Y cable. The setting in the Connected Transducer menu is Built-in HW:MDI+:MEGA 360 when using the Minnkota MDI transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM-Fishing View Post
    What is the voltage supply to the units? Did you run dedicated wire for the new units or just tied it into the boats existing wiring?
    All units each have their own 10 Guage marine wire direct to the battery. Voltage reads 12.4, sometimes gets down to 12.0 by the end of the day.

5. Member
    That doesn't show up in the options with the y cable connected

6. Member
    NNY. Your voltage is low. I am assuming you have lead acid batteries. With #10 wire(and good connections) you should start out the day with fully charged batteries.12.7 or .8. The batteries should stay above 12.1
    Or you don’t have enough battery to get the job done. A low battery will affect everything. Everything includes your ethernet, fish finders and anything else they are powering. Make sure you units are updated to the latest levels and you have the proper mode set. (Custom) So you have all the options displayed. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

7. Member
    I bout a brand new 31AGM battery, I run 10 gauge wire direct to each Helix I own. I show like 12.4 volts on the units at full charge last time i checked.
    The battery might be a crappy battery from the factory, but i think its usually like 12.4 or something silly at the battery on full charge/maintain.
    I sometimes get similar weird stuff.

I have two helix 12s networked together, y cable, built in MDI and Mega 360.
    The helm unit will sometimes lose 360 and go to a map screen, randomly. Just changes to the map screen. Then you have to go back to the mega 360 screen.
    Sometimes the front unit will do the same, either pulled out or not. this happens in middle of fishing, not moving.

I will say humminbird is full of ghost glitches, and its nearly impossible to try and pinpoint what causes them.
    Good luck, but if your voltage shows over 12.4 volts, at the unit, how on earth could it be a wiring and battery problem? Just my oppinion.

Edit - I have my two helix 12s WIRED directly to the AGM 31 battery, and that is the ONLY thing connected to this battery.
    Perhaps the network switch (wired on the starter battery) is an issue?
    The rotation of the mega 360 is also wired to the starter battery....

My motor (optimax) starts every time, without any issues, and is not being started or used when the issues I have pop up, so if my battery can crank my enginge I have to think the network switch and the mega 360 are not short of any power at all.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by NNYBassangler View Post
    That doesn't show up in the options with the y cable connected
    All the Connected Transducer settings for MEGA 360 should be listed no matter if a Y cable is connected or not.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    At the battery terminals(+ to -) 12.7 or 12.8 (it depends on the battery). At the unit if you are getting 12.4 or less you have a problem with either too small wire or poor connections. That could be poor splices or running through a connection/distribution board or box with push on spade connections or corroded connections. Properly wired with a good battery. (not worn out or damaged from less than ideal charging regiments) .2 volts or less difference (voltage drop) is considered good. Bob
    I should add that reading needs to be done with everything powered up and running. Otherwise without any load the voltages will all read the same as the battery (not a test of anything.
    Last edited by bobcoy; 06-27-2022 at 12:22 PM.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    All the Connected Transducer settings for MEGA 360 should be listed no matter if a Y cable is connected or not.
    They're not....not sure why

11. Member
    It's not that....zero voltage drop. Running a 31 agm.

12. Member
    These are brand new units, should I try a software upgrade?

These are brand new units, should I try a software upgrade?
    Does the MEGA 360 show as Connected in the Accessory Test menu at any point?
    If it does, what does the Connected Transducer menu show as the function?

The ONLY thing that is automatic is the entire Connected Transducer list is deleted (there are 20 different choices with a G3N MEGA SI+ unit) (there are 13 different choices with a G4N MEGA SI+ unit) and a new set (5 different choices) replaces them with all the choices being MEGA 360 related, that happens when the MEGA 360 is recognized.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    It did until I unplugged the y cable so I could at least have 2d sonar

15. Member
    I've had a few minutes to play with this. The 360 does not show connected to the front unit, it shows connected to the console unit. How do I make the front one default for that?

16. Member
    Also, as soon as I power up the network, the 2d sonar at the trolling motor shuts down and that's when all the issues start.

Also, as soon as I power up the network, the 2d sonar at the trolling motor shuts down and that's when all the issues start.
    What procedure do you use when you turn the units off?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL