Pantera 3 won’t get on plane!!

Hello all, I have a 2000 pantera 3 with a 2014 200 pro xs. Also has 2 8ft talons on the back. The boat came with a 25p temptest and was a dog getting on plane and simply wasn’t possible with full live wells or another person. After a lot of research and asking questions to people, I was told I absolutely needed a 25p trophy 4 blade. This helped barely at all if any. Without any plugs in, it almost gets on plane and then bogs down badly. Im pretty sure I need to drop down to a 23p prop but cannot figure out which one to get fury,temptest, or trophy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First, we don't suggest Talons as they have more weight and decrease hole shot. Next a 25 Tempest we would not suggest, and we would try a 23 Fury, or a 23-24 Trophy.

That should get you a starting point.

BCB

3. Member
    i have a 24p fury 3 but no talons and hole shot is instant sure engine is running properly also? a 23p 3 or 4 blade fury worth the try out
    Last edited by mactlman; 06-27-2022 at 05:09 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Frharvey, the way I read your post, it appears you bought the boat as a used rig, since you mentioned the 2014 Pro XS and "the boat came with a 25 Tempest." The Tempest is a dog with the set up, others suggested 25 Trophy, which helped marginally.
    Since the boat already HAS the Talons, I wouldn't remove them unless you absolutely-a) have to / need to; b) have a buyer ready to purchase; c) don't really care one way or the other, they were on the boat when you bought it and they were not on your list of "wants/needs" for your purchase.
    I would take the 2 25" props, Tempest and Trophy, sell them or trade them for a 23 and 24 Trophy, then problem solved. Dial in the 23" for warmer temps, get the rpms upper range, then in cooler temps of fall, put the 24" on and let 'er eat up some chop.
    But that's me...

5. Member
    You might have a bad coil. It will kill the holeshot for sure. Just a thought……

Degrading Fuel lines are a larger issue than possible coil problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Degrading Fuel lines are a larger issue than possible coil problems.
    For less than $100 you can change the fuel tank pick ups, elbows and new fuel lines to the selector switch on the transom yourself.

8. Banned
    All that old rubber stopping up your injectors is a little tougher to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcfII View Post
    All that old rubber stopping up your injectors is a little tougher to fix.