Need help with '92 285 Pro XL fuel system.

I have a problem. It has become impossible to get a fuel flow from one of the tanks. The lever to switch over from one tank to another gradually became harder to use, but still seems operable.
    My problem?
    I can't remember if the lever goes towards the bow for the port or starboard setting.
    I also can't remember which tank is filled from which filler.
    Port side has two fillers/caps. I seem to remember the one closest to the stern is the starboard tank, the other (closest to the bow), being for the port tank.
    I had some major health issues a few years ago, and the boat sat for almost 3 years.
    I had the tanks drained recently - both now empty.
    If there is an easy way to troubleshoot the non-functioning tank, that would be ideal.
    If not, I'd need to know which tank is which, so I don't waste expensive gas.
    All help appreciated!

2. Member
    OK. Finally found a photo online that shows starboard tank filler is on the left/port on the right. The opposite of what my poor memory told me.
    That question answered.
    Now to figure out the mechanical switch that decides which tank the engine draws from, and see if I can get it working...
    Again - if anyone has this model with the dual tanks - I'd appreciate any input.
    Thanks.

3. Member
    I had same/similar problem in my 94 285 pro xl. Ended up the actual selector valve needed new o rings. You should be able to see which direction the valve in the bilge area is selected to. Match that with switch position.

4. Member
    I know I have a 94 285 pro xl and the first fuel fill is closet to the front fills the port tank and the fuel fill closet to the transom fills the starboard tank. I'd have to check my valve when I make it to my boat again this weekend