1992 Stratos 295 pro set up help

I recently purchased a 92 Stratos 295 pro DC with a 150 Evinrude Intruder running a Raker 14 1/2 X 24 SS prop. When I measured the distance from the bottom of the boat to the center of the prop shaft it was 4 1/2". The boat got on plane quickly but when I got it on plane and running over 4500 rpms I threw a massive rooster tail and couldn't get over 45 mph. I raised the jack plate (rite hite) so the motor was at 3.25" at the center of prop shaft and took it for a test ride. Now when I am getting on plane the rpms jump like the prop is cavitating (sounds like it too) until I start trimming up( then it seems to bite again). I get to 4500 rpms and it is now running at 43 mph. when I trim past that it starts rooster tail and still doesn't run any faster. I was told this should run 55 to 60 mph at 5300 rpms? I am not looking to break any speed records with this but would like to get it set up to run at it potential. Both trips were with 2 people and some gear in the boat. Any Suggestions greatly appreciated??
    Thanks
    Shane

2. Member
    You should be able to turn a 24 more than 4500 rpm. Those engines were known to lose the bushing on the timing advance roller and cause your issues.Post on the OMC page,there are some experts there that can help. I would also check the compression and look for fuel leaks around the carburetors. They had plastic carb bowls that would warp and leak fuel. Might be a good idea to do a de-carb also,especially if the compression is low. Also,if that is the old original Raker,it may be worn out or worn down. They didn’t have very much cupping anyway and get worse with use.