Thread: Western Drought

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Western Drought

I have been watching some footage on the drought and didn't really realize how serious it was. They were saying Lake Mead could be at dead pool in a year meaning no power generation of Las Vegas. California produces 1/3 of the worlds fruits and vegetables (according to the program I watched) and the water shortage could really cause a drop in production. Add this in with Ukraine and we could really be looking at a drop in the world's food supply. This is some very scary stuff. I guess living on the East Coast we are probably not as aware of what is going on since we are not living it.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I have been watching some footage on the drought and didn't really realize how serious it was. They were saying Lake Mead could be at dead pool in a year meaning no power generation of Las Vegas. California produces 1/3 of the worlds fruits and vegetables (according to the program I watched) and the water shortage could really cause a drop in production. Add this in with Ukraine and we could really be looking at a drop in the world's food supply. This is some very scary stuff. I guess living on the East Coast we are probably not as aware of what is going on since we are not living it.
    I have heard that too. But as mentioned on East so I dont really follow it closely.

3. Member
    I believe Great Lakes water flows eventually into the Mississippi. Eventually an aqueduct from the Mississippi to the Colorado River will have to be built.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    I believe Great Lakes water flows eventually into the Mississippi. Eventually an aqueduct from the Mississippi to the Colorado River will have to be built.
    The Great Lakes flow into the St Lawrence seaway and out to the Atlantic
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    The Great Lakes flow into the St Lawrence seaway and out to the Atlantic
    I believe there is considerable flow in the Chicago area from Lake Michigan.

6. Member
    I believe there is considerable flow in the Chicago area from Lake Michigan.

Illinois reversed the flow of the Chicago river years ago so that their waste water wouldn't flow into their fresh water intake.i it does flow out of lake Michigan, .with many "additives "

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    And when there is a drought in the Mississippi River valley do you think water will be shipped west so that commercial barge traffic is halted? Ain’t gonna happen, plus the cost would be incredible, the Rocky Mountains are in the way.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    And when there is a drought in the Mississippi River valley do you think water will be shipped west so that commercial barge traffic is halted? Ain’t gonna happen, plus the cost would be incredible, the Rocky Mountains are in the way.
    Maybe Elon Musk’s boring machines can drastically reduce that cost. The water would only be diverted when available.

9. Member
    If they don’t have electricity out West how will they charge their cars?

10. Member
    Why does the western states not get their water from the ocean? Should have been done about 50 years ago.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    Why does the western states not get their water from the ocean? Should have been done about 50 years ago.
    Almost impossible to meet the demand. Desalinization plants are very costly.
    And the population of CA is very large. Paired with agricultural irrigation ...
    Tampa Bay uses desalinization only to bolster supplies. We still have issues.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Almost impossible to meet the demand. Desalinization plants are very costly.
    And the population of CA is very large. Paired with agricultural irrigation ...
    Tampa Bay uses desalinization only to bolster supplies. We still have issues.
    We print money for everything else, why not removing salt from ocean water?

13. Member
    Sometimes I get sick hearing them threaten with droughts and water rationing when everyday I keep seeing them building new subdivisions with hundreds of new homes. Almost like they don't even consider water sources. The people that have the power to change usually don't have to pay for or worry about their own personal needs like water, gas, electricity, etc....LOL

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    If they don’t have electricity out West how will they charge their cars?
    With commercial Diesel generators.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    And Bill Gates buys a potato farm for 13 mil just to watch it die. There will be food shortages, I guarantee that much
    Kyle

2010 Nitro Z-7

PB: 11 lbs, 1 oz

16. Member
    I think the feds gave some of those western states a super short time like maybe 90 days to come up with a plan to conserve an incredible amount of water. What I remember hearing was that if this plan isn't satisfactorily in place by then , the feds will come in and do it for them. Could get scary. What comes around , goes around. Building cities in the desert.
    GETFISHED !!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    I think the feds gave some of those western states a super short time like maybe 90 days to come up with a plan to conserve an incredible amount of water. What I remember hearing was that if this plan isn't satisfactorily in place by then , the feds will come in and do it for them. Could get scary. What comes around , goes around. Building cities in the desert.
    RReagan-1-900x300.jpg

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    We print money for everything else, why not removing salt from ocean water?
    Volume, sheer volume. Guess it's possible over a long period, with a large reduction in consumption.
    Of course, most of the country will have starved at that point. The droughts are a very serious issue.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Sometimes I get sick hearing them threaten with droughts and water rationing when everyday I keep seeing them building new subdivisions with hundreds of new homes. Almost like they don't even consider water sources. The people that have the power to change usually don't have to pay for or worry about their own personal needs like water, gas, electricity, etc....LOL
    We have issues here ... freshwater, roads, etc. No one seems to care one bit.
    At this point, they should stop all new construction until they figure it out.
    However, instead, they're counting the new tax dollars and praying for more.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    It is the same thing down here in South Florida. They keep establishing task forces for the inevitable rise in sea levels and then approve mega expensive condos on barrier islands in the exact same place that they said will be underwater in 10 years. They just love the additional property tax revenue.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast