Thread: Western Drought

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. Member
    Raining buckets again here in central VA. I can ship some out to Meade, but it will cost ya.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdonnierowe View Post
    Israel began desalination efforts in the early 2000’s and now receives 55% of their water from that source. Their population is around 8.5 million.
    More facts.

3. Member
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ntington-beach

California has a desalination plant in San Diego and another was proposed for Los Angeles recently. From my understanding the new plant was pretty universally supported, even by our stupid goverer. Last month 12 individuals from the State Coastal Commission were able to kill the project. I don’t don’t know all of the specifics, but from what I heard, the plant would have caused something like 50% of the plankton to die within a 3 mile radius of the plant. Apparently this was too much for to commission to accept.

4. Member
    I pray they get the much needed rain soon! Tens of millions Americans may be at risk.

We have a lake here on the central coast that was built by the Army Corp of Engineers. It’s main purpose was to provide water for a military camp back during the war. They designed it to add twenty foot gates. The infrastructure is also engineered for the expansion. A few years ago there was a push to raise the lake level. This twenty feet would add five years of water for the local cities. Environmentalists shot it down. And now they’re buying state water and considering desal. Most years this lake fills and spills to the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    We have a lake here on the central coast that was built by the Army Corp of Engineers. It’s main purpose was to provide water for a military camp back during the war. They designed it to add twenty foot gates. The infrastructure is also engineered for the expansion. A few years ago there was a push to raise the lake level. This twenty feet would add five years of water for the local cities. Environmentalists shot it down. And now they’re buying state water and considering desal. Most years this lake fills and spills to the ocean.
    This sounds a lot like the last reservoir project in Mo that I know of. They got it cancelled because it was going to partially flood a cave and there was an endangered bat that basically went extinct within 3 years of getting the project cancelled or something crazy. I get needing to protect things but there comes a time where human needs have to outweighs other things.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

7. Member
    California also has to balance any effect on fisheries. We have a similar issue in Florida. We divert freshwater from its natural flow south and it has an impact on marine fisheries. Marine fisheries are another thing you have to balance when you are trying to establish a water policy. The lack of freshwater moving into the southern tip of the state can affect the entire fishery in that area as many fish use the mangroves in the Everglades to spawn and feed. It also effects crabs and shrimp etc . You don't want to kill a food source in the process of solving another problem. Degradation of deltas seems to be the issue of what California is dealing with in terms of managing freshwater flowing to the sea. These areas are very similar to the Everglades at the southern tip of Florida in terms of their impact of fisheries.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    California also has to balance any effect on fisheries. We have a similar issue in Florida. We divert freshwater from its natural flow south and it has an impact on marine fisheries. Marine fisheries are another thing you have to balance when you are trying to establish a water policy. The lack of freshwater moving into the southern tip of the state can affect the entire fishery in that area as many fish use the mangroves in the Everglades to spawn and feed. It also effects crabs and shrimp etc . You don't want to kill a food source in the process of solving another problem. Degradation of deltas seems to be the issue of what California is dealing with in terms of managing freshwater flowing to the sea. These areas are very similar to the Everglades at the southern tip of Florida in terms of their impact of fisheries.
    X2 ... we've already damage the Apalachee Bay, in the Panhandle.
    It WAS one of the prime oyster beds in the country, hands down.
    Not one boat remains, all permits gone, fishery closed, it's over.

Ever seen a green river? Like neon green, that burns and stings?
    We have them, every year now. And these aren't little streams.
    Fish kills like crazy, thousands of tons dead. Smells really bad.

9. Member
    This planet has a finite amount of water including saltwater. Think about it.
    GETFISHED !!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post

Technically true within reason but the water cycle makes that a little misleading.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mossie3 View Post
    The Bureau of Land Management personnel, & Climatologists should come to BBC to learn their jobs .
    I agree because they dang sure don’t know it!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    For Pete's sake, it's the simplest thing in the world. Put everything into desalination immediately. You'll have plenty of fresh water and you'll lower the ocean at the same time. Sheesh, do I have to fix everything for you?
    That’s what you call a win/win

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    Whiskey is for drinking... water is for fighting.
    No it’s for the horses. Toby and Willie

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rboren View Post
    No it’s for the horses. Toby and Willie
    Beer is for horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Humboldtnick View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ntington-beach

California has a desalination plant in San Diego and another was proposed for Los Angeles recently. From my understanding the new plant was pretty universally supported, even by our stupid goverer. Last month 12 individuals from the State Coastal Commission were able to kill the project. I don’t don’t know all of the specifics, but from what I heard, the plant would have caused something like 50% of the plankton to die within a 3 mile radius of the plant. Apparently this was too much for to commission to accept.
    That's why it will never fly in CA, the SW slurry discharge created an ocean dead zone.

17. Member
    I saw a video with a guy that was a former water board member. He talked about how CA failed to build any new dams in the last 30 or more years. While the population has grown the water resources hasnt. He stated that 14 days of rain in the wet season would provide enough water for the year if they had the reservoirs. Just like thier power grid they have failed to plan.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345