Thread: Western Drought

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    . Sounds like some facts from someone that lives there.
    Facts for sure but not all the facts. You would think on bass fishing site there would be a little concern for the California Delta, but hey got to stay n our tribes.

Post like this scare me pretty good. I never was a “prepper” before but I am definitely wanting to become more self sufficient now. Going to pick up hunting again and buy a big freezer. Also want to start a big garden again and get some chickens. That may not be enough but hopefully it will help. I wish we had more land….

3. Member
    We've known we have a drought and water issues for years. The Salt river chain of lakes has been the backbone for a significant amount of the water used in the Phx area for a long time but more will need to be done and should have been done years ago.

Imo there needs to be a serious plan to discourage more growth in Phx and the southwest because frankly we don't have the resources. Just fact.

The Bureau of Land Management personnel, & Climatologists should come to BBC to learn their jobs .

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    What nobody outside CA understands is we have enough water. Residential and commercial use barely 10%, agriculture uses 40%. The other 50% runs out to the ocean to keep environmentalists happy and preserve habitats for Delta smelt and salmon. We have not built any water storage in 60+ years. CA has a problem with govt mismanagement of water and is beholden to special interests. We don’t manage our forests and there are wildfires. We don’t manage our water and there is drought. Our governor won’t even consider lifting our $0.51 gas taxes even while his buddy Biden says states should do it in the short term to provide some relief. And yet he breezes through a recall and will have no problem getting re-elected. Be careful y’all. He wants the presidency bad.

NoCAL
    Very heavy on opinion and hyperbole and very light on facts. We only have enough water when it rains and snows, neither of which have happened for three consecutive years. Some facts: The Sacramento River will run at its lowest level ever this summer as will the Feather. Shasta and Oroville headed for historic lows, despite the historically low river releases and flows.
    Last edited by Bueller; 06-26-2022 at 09:35 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    Is the rainfall and snowmelt pretty steady in Northern California and the mountains or have levels been lower over the past few years? I have heard mention of La Niña being part of the problem and that it is a cycle that comes and goes.
    La Niña hasn't helped at all. This last year was looking good with the ground getting saturated, the snow pack was building up, and good runoff into lakes starting to happen. Then January through March were dry, which is usually our months of the best rainfall. There were a few storms that came through here and there that helped, but it was too little too late. Lake Shasta and Oroville normally get a ton of run off from rain and snow melt, and they did come up, but nothing to really help. A couple of local lakes around me are hurting bad. One just closed it's only launch ramp due to no water to float a boat.

I've been in California my whole life, and it seems like every 10+/- years or so we get a ton of rain regardless of El Niño or La Niña. It's been about 6 years since the last major storms that came through and filled up Shasta, Oroville, Clear Lake, Berryessa, etc. and my home lakes. Hopefully the next set of storms come on the early side of the 10 year mark. We need it out here badly.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    It is the same thing down here in South Florida. They keep establishing task forces for the inevitable rise in sea levels and then approve mega expensive condos on barrier islands in the exact same place that they said will be underwater in 10 years. They just love the additional property tax revenue.
    For Pete's sake, it's the simplest thing in the world. Put everything into desalination immediately. You'll have plenty of fresh water and you'll lower the ocean at the same time. Sheesh, do I have to fix everything for you?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    For Pete's sake, it's the simplest thing in the world. Put everything into desalination immediately. You'll have plenty of fresh water and you'll lower the ocean at the same time. Sheesh, do I have to fix everything for you?
    Tampa Bay has been processing saltwater for about 15 years.
    It's a costly process. The addition to our supply is about 10%.
    Currently, our consumption is at 250M gallons per day, total.

Recent city water bill, $136.19. Two people, flow restrictors.
    If we keep building, only the affluent will be living down here.
    Working class folks will have to relocate to other states soon.

Our newest project is incorporating processed wastewater.
    Some folks think it tastes like pee, with nuances of ganja.
    But I can't find a difference mixed with Kentucky whiskey.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    Very heavy on opinion and hyperbole and very light on facts. We only have enough water when it rains and snows, neither of which have happened for three consecutive years. Some facts: The Sacramento River will run at its lowest level ever this summer as will the Feather. Shasta and Oroville headed for historic lows, despite the historically low river releases and flows.
    Would it be possible for you to provide detail on the facts I got wrong? Do you know of a water storage facility built in the past 60 years? Does 50% of our stored water not go out to the Pacific in the name of “endangered” salmon runs? Obviously we have had three dry years. We surely would be in better shape had we not squandered the resource, I guess to be safe I’ll add, IMO. 60 year CA native.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Would it be possible for you to provide detail on the facts I got wrong? Do you know of a water storage facility built in the past 60 years? Does 50% of our stored water not go out to the Pacific in the name of “endangered” salmon runs? Obviously we have had three dry years. We surely would be in better shape had we not squandered the resource, I guess to be safe I’ll add, IMO. 60 year CA native.

NoCAL
    Sure, happy to do so. Your first statement that CA has more than enough water is, plain and simple, incorrect. We don’t have enough except in the wet years. There’s zero argument here. You also state that California doesn’t manage its water, which is absurd. I don’t know if there’s anything in CA that’s managed more than water. You also left industrial out of your water consumption statement, which is a glaring and very significant oversight.

11. Member
    What’s with all the sights on all the farm fields off of interstate 5 and highway 99 that say hey Newsome quit letting our water run into the ocean?

12. Member
    Oops sorry not sights but signs

13. Member
    Things run in cycles. The water will be back.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    George Carlin nailed it when he said Mother Nature will shake us off of her back like the fleas we are when she’s had enough. Society is quickly becoming a Golden Corral all you can eat buffet gone horribly wrong and it’s not gonna end pretty …
    All you can eat Ribs------ By The Dumpster.

Remember that one, the Video an Employee shot at a Golden Corral where the Manager said the Food Inspectors were coming and they needed to do something with all the Food they had prepped and no where to put it? He had this guy move it all Outside and Hide It beside the Dumpster.

Video went Viral. Manager got fired by GC. Employee got praised and given a Promotion. At least until the Video Craze died off, the he was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Sometimes I get sick hearing them threaten with droughts and water rationing when everyday I keep seeing them building new subdivisions with hundreds of new homes. Almost like they don't even consider water sources. The people that have the power to change usually don't have to pay for or worry about their own personal needs like water, gas, electricity, etc....LOL

Same thing they are doing with electric cars when they know they dont have enough available electricity to run their state now.

16. Member
    There are 2 Fishermen that have been documenting the Water Drop in Lake Mead starting every month, now more like every two weeks.

Last video the rescued an older man that lives on a small House Boat where the lake dropped so fast he got left on the sand and couldn't move the boat. That's fast!

They show the Original Flow Pipes and how far they are now out of the water. Boats that were under, then just showing, and now Full Exposed.

The Lake is dropping at an Alarming Rate.

It's not like this sneaked up on them. I seen videos on Fishing there 10-15 years ago where in the show they would show the White Line Mark on the cliffs and how far below it they were at.

From last year

https://californiaglobe.com/articles...ht-conditions/

“Less than two years ago, every reservoir in the state was brimming with water, and held a supply to last a minimum of five dry years without another drop of rain. Shasta and Oroville by themselves held enough water to meet the needs of 80 million people for a year. With 25 million receiving water from these sources, those two reservoirs alone could deliver water for more than three years. But the majority of that stored water has been released to the ocean for ongoing environmental causes that have not benefitted a single endangered fish. Water managers claim the problem is families are not conserving enough. They are now recommending only using water for drinking and sanitation, and to stop watering any landscape that is not edible. Many property owners are already trucking in water.”“50% of California’s water supply goes to environmental uses, 40% is converted to the food we eat and the clothes we wear, and the remaining 10% is for urban use. Families did not waste their way into a water shortage and cannot conserve their way out. Saving 25% of a 10% use equals 2.5%. Ongoing water releases continue to put fish over people, and both are suffering. More water rights holders than ever before are about to receive stop-using-water notices.”

“There is no accountability whatsoever to show positive results for the water continuously taken from the human supply. The governor appointed peeps in the CDFW spend hundreds of millions of our dollars on everything from studies and monitoring, to decades of supposed habitat restoration. They have failed the fishing industry big time, in addition to drying up the water supply for farmers and families.”

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    The only problem is de salinazation takes a ton of energy to produce water. If the hydroelectric power generation goes down then it is going to put further stresses on electricity in the SW.

19. Member
    Whiskey is for drinking... water is for fighting.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

CA may have to adopt crops that don't need as much water. They are growing a lot of almonds which is very water intensive. Desalinization brings problems too, for example there's lots of salt generated in a form of a very salty slurry that has to be discharged into the ocean. That in turn creates a dead zone for marine life.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast