Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vault--hybrid grease vs marine.

Anyone switched their vault hubs over to marine grease ?

2. Member
    Not me, I just redid my vault hubs late last summer after 6 years of towing a ton. Hopefully I am good for another 5-6 years!

Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Not me, I just redid my vault hubs late last summer after 6 years of towing a ton. Hopefully I am good for another 5-6 years!
    Good deal. I've got one that's only 2.5 years old and has started leaking.
    I've got everything except the hybrid grease on hand. Need to get it done ASAP.

4. Member
    Thats why I redid mine, 1 started leaking after 6 years so I just went ahead and did them all.

Nope
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

You have to use the Hybrid grease. It is formulated with a low viscosity index that causes it to thin down to a heavy oil as it warms up. If you put regular grease in it, you will blow the stainless steel caps off on the first trip. I found out the hard way.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Real easy to swap over to regular grease. Lucas sticky red seems to be the preferred grease. Pretty simple, knock off the SS Vault cap, install grease fitting in spindle, purge hybrid lubricant out, remove grease fitting, reinstall SS vault cap. Good to go. If someone suggests this will blow your SS vault caps off, they need to learn how to install SS vault caps.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Real easy to swap over to regular grease. Lucas sticky red seems to be the preferred grease. Pretty simple, knock off the SS Vault cap, install grease fitting in spindle, purge hybrid lubricant out, remove grease fitting, reinstall SS vault cap. Good to go. If someone suggests this will blow your SS vault caps off, they need to learn how to install SS vault caps.
    Did exactly the same thing (except I installed new double lip seal) and will do the other 3 when they start leaking. Total out of pocket for double lip seal, grease fitting and grease about $10. Tip: I cleaned the surface real good on the cap and hub where cup fits. Put cap in freezer about an hour and installed with red loctite.

9. Member
    I like the vault system.

Did a total dismantle and clean, including the cap which had some grit between inner and outer sleeve.
    Hand packed the bearings with Lucas marine grease. Re filled with grease and assembled.
    What I learned.
    1.Wear sleave is drilled for rear grease outlet. I believe that's what caused premature leak as it appeared the inner lip of grease seal was riding on the outer edge of that hole. I didn't seat new seal as deep, so it won't repeat.
    2.Even at ambient temp the hybrid "grease" was at a very thick oil consistency- it poured out of hub. Cleanup was nothing like grease.
    3. Only problem I had was filling entire hub with new grease. I'm sure the thinner hybrid grease would have passed thru the back bearing much easier.
    Good chance I will order the hybrid grease for future use and redo this one when the grease comes in.

I would stick with regular grease instead of Vault hybrid oil. UFP used the same double lipped seals for oil filled hubs, grease filled hubs and Vault. There’s a reason UFP discontinued the oil filled hubs.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    I have changed from Vault to Bearing Buddy and Lucas Red & Tacky grease. The reason why is at the ten year mark I lost a Vault cover. Noticed it in the garage. Luckly it must have come off close to home as there was no damage to bearing and race. It dawned on me that if one loses a Vault cover the liquid grease runs out. Regular grease will stay in the bearing. Again I don't know how I got lucky, but I bet that 99 times out of a hundred a ruined axle is what happens.

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Wondering when to bite that bullet. Right now at 6yrs and have to upgrade tires. In the past I've done more harm than good "maintaining" bearings when it wasn't necessary.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

If I remember correctly --- these vault hubs are supposed to be service free for 10 years.
    Think I'll wait and test that claim--provided the rest don't start leaking..
    IMO the best thing is to get in the habit of checking for any leaks EVERY time you have the boat off the trailer. If you keep your wheels clean there is no doubt when a seal starts leaking.

The Vault Hub system is very good. However you cannot become complacent with 5 or 10 year warranty. Rear seals often fail and the Vault Caps can also leak. When you walk to fetch your trailer take a peek at your wheels for grease slinging. Look to insure Vault Cap is protruding indicating Vault Hub is charged. If you are unable to perform these simple visual checks, you just might be stranded beside the road with a ruined fishing trip and a tow bill. Yep, warranty will cover replacement of bearings and seals. Warranty wont cover a ruined trip, tow bill, or accommodations while you wait for repair. Do your road checks and be pro active.

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

The Vault Hub system is very good. However you cannot become complacent with 5 or 10 year warranty. Rear seals often fail and the Vault Caps can also leak. When you walk to fetch your trailer take a peek at your wheels for grease slinging. Look to insure Vault Cap is protruding indicating Vault Hub is charged. If you are unable to perform these simple visual checks, you just might be stranded beside the road with a ruined fishing trip and a tow bill. Yep, warranty will cover replacement of bearings and seals. Warranty wont cover a ruined trip, tow bill, or accommodations while you wait for repair. Do your road checks and be pro active.
    Good post. I check all four rear seals before putting the boat back on the trailer as it had a chance to dry while fishing. For those that do there own UFP hubs, inspect the SS wear rings. The double lipped seals will wear grooves in the wear rings.

Checking hub/bearing protector temps periodically goes a long way to keeping tabs of what’s going on with the hubs and bearings. I check mine by hand when I get to the ramp parking lot and with an infrared temp gun when I get home. I only go 12 miles to the ramp I use but check every trip as I don’t like surprises.
    Last edited by Bob G.; 06-30-2022 at 07:49 AM.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

17. Member
    I just swapped over in January. I pulled all four and inspected each bearing and races. All were good. I hand packed bearings(old school way) install new double lip seals. Manufacture actually recommends this upon seal failure with the hybrid grease
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

18. Member
    Made the switch in a gas station parking lot 800 miles from home on one of my 2 year old Vaults this weekend. Lucky I check my hubs at every stop so I noticed the black mess all over the wheel. Spare hub with marine grease went on, but I switched to an EZ Lube cap.

Great Job! Have a lot of friends pull into my house from outta state to fish tourneys on LOZ. Couple times they are slinging grease. We go to Oreilly and get a bearing buddy cap, grease gun, grease fitting and tube of sticky red. I knock off their vault cap, install grease fitting, purge hybrid lubricant out. Remove grease fitting, install bearing buddy cap and send them on their way. Sticky red is more viscous and doesn't sling as bad as hybrid lube. They stop at each fill up and give it a shot or 2 of sticky red. They always make it home!

20. Member
    Some of the older trailers, like my ‘08 marine master, don’t have a zerk fitting hole in the spindle so it’s not as easy to swap out to red and tacky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast