Thread: Speed Crankin'

Speed Crankin'

We have no shad and big schools of bass here are a myth, and I've been a non-believer in crankbaits for 30 years. I've spent the last two or three seasons proving myself wrong as usual: first by worming RkCrawler through boulders and Damiki DC300 on the same, or on hard bottoms. This postspawn, I discovered just how many fish stayed shallow all day in very clear water, with a squarebill and another (discontinued) bait.

I was out with a friend yesterday, and we were picking up a few LM here and there on soft plastics. I decided to speedcrank a couple of hard spots/points with the DC300 and a 6XD - a real eye opener. I picked up 8-9 fish that I would never have caught otherwise (had another 5-6 crushing bites and lost fish too). The 6XD catches a good class of fish too - averaging 2+# yesterday. I've got a Berkley Dredger 14.5 in Lone Ranger that should be ideal, as the main forage is 2"-3" yellow perch right now. I bought some 10XD and deep Spro cranks from another BBC member this winter - I gotta work up the sack to throw those (reminder to self: bring some ice for the arm on the ride home).

2. Member
    When you say speed cranking how fast you talking. I've always thought I was missing something was watching kvd on our home lake grand lake. Was fishing a 6xd I believe when they first come out and he was cranking literally as fast as he could. Watched him catch fish after fish.

3. Member
    As fast as I could reel a 6.3:1. Pausing every 10 cranks or so for an instant.

4. Member
    I have a friend that dominates the tournaments .He told me even in winter he gets his best fish cranking as fast as he can reel .Throw the 10 xd its a great bait.

5. Member
    DD22 is old school but it gets the big heads!

6. Member
    Check out the river 2 sea tactical crank and osp blitz Max DR for this technique. Thank me later

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky21xd View Post
    Check out the river 2 sea tactical crank and osp blitz Max DR for this technique. Thank me later
    I've got a handful of the Tactical DD baits. They fill in that depth range between the DC300 and the 6XD perfectly. Not getting the results at speed yet (I threw it yesterday PM with no bites, but did get three on the 6XD... will keep trying though). In a recent vid, Matt A didn't recommend their bait for summer cranking iirc. I heaved the 10XD on the structure where I got those three (sunken stone bridge and roadbed) but couldn't get another look.

The Dredger is a great bait, I think you'll be happy with it. Don't sleep on the DT series for this either. I'm not great at it, but I've still had some banner days aggressively grinding them into rocks or absolutely ripping them through submergent vegetation. If you've not done the latter thing, you'll look and feel like an idiot at first. That is until one about rips the rod out of your hand!

The Berkley Digger is a really similar bait that's more durable than the DT, it even comes through cover very similarly. I've just not had the same luck with it for whatever reason...probably confidence.

The only downside of aggressive cranking for me is all the pike that like those types of presentations. I'm guessing you have a bit of that to deal with in NH too?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    What rod are you guys throwing these big cranks on that don’t leave your arm feeling like jello at the end of the day? This is a technique I have failed to try for a long time but I think this summer will be prime to give it a whirl. Thanks in advance!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    all the pike that like those types of presentations. I'm guessing you have a bit of that to deal with in NH too?
    Not many pike in NH other than the Connecticut River lakes. There are a few in one of my town's lakes in the southern part, but I've only hooked one there on a spinnerbait one time (had a couple follows on same).

I'm using a medium heavy glass Shimano SLXC74MHG. It might be a little stiff in the tip, as I'm missing some bites. Not having issues keeping them on though. It's weighty, as is the Shimano Citica 200D that's hanging off it.

That OSP Blitz looks great, but boy are they proud of them!$$

11. Member
    https://onidaoutdoors.com/irod-fishi...crank-launcher

This 7'11 crank launcher from IROD absolutely SENDS a big crankbait and you can feel EVERYTHING. Highly recommend and wont break the bank.

12. Member
    FX Etreme Angler 7'8" HMF is the best cranking rod I have ever held. Perfect for 6XD. A little over 4 oz in weight and balanced. $190.00

13. Member
    Thanks 2stroke and RFSims!!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    FX Etreme Angler 7'8" HMF is the best cranking rod I have ever held. Perfect for 6XD. A little over 4 oz in weight and balanced. $190.00
    Bought the 7’ 8” model for cranking. Have had it out several trips now and am thoroughly enjoying it.
    Thanks again!