Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tatula Elite Brent Ehrler Medium/MediumHeavy Finesse Rod

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this rod and how the blank actually behaves with 8,10, and 12lb fc. I see the rating is for 8-20lb line which I think seems a bit too wide for any blank to do effectively. Also the lure rating is 1/8-1oz which again is all over the place and doesn’t give much detail about the sweet spot for its use.

My planned use would be neko/occasionally wacky, finesse jig and shakey head (all in 1/8-3/8oz) on primarily 10 and 12lb line in deeper water 30+’ and also in shallower water with sparse grass where I still want “lighter” line but don’t want to go 6lb test like my true finesse setups. The reel I would plan on using would be the new Tatula 70SVTW. I know this reel has a max drag of 10lb but I would never be using anything more than 12lb test on it.

So I guess my question is, will this rod do what I’m wanting and also can this rod actually handle 8 and 10lb fc or is it just too much (line rating is really throwing me off). It sounds like it would be excellent for what I’m wanting to do but certainly am open for suggestions if it’s not a good pick. Wanting to stay $300 or less regardless for the rod. Thanks guys and have a great weekend

2. Member
    I don’t have personal use with this rod but I assume the ratings are accurate because I read this was Seth Feider’s rod of choice for 5/8 oz jigs in sparse grass. I also know for a fact Ish uses this rod with 10lb FC for the techniques you mention.

3. Member
    i have this rod paired with a steez ct and use it for 3/16-1/4oz shakeyheads with 10# fc. i have actually pitched an 1/8oz head with a 2" baby shad before, but that was really pushing it

4. Member
    I use this rod extensively for throwing 3/32 oz Twistlock Light hook with 5 inch Caffeine Shads - probably weighs 3/8 oz total. Weed lines, skipping under docks, 12 lb fluorocarbon. Great rod, always on my deck, XF tip is very sensitive. Works well to Neko and shakey head 1/8-3/16 is the wheelhouse.

Awesome. Thanks for the feedback everyone. That’s exactly what I needed to know, gonna get me one ordered

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    Hey all, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this rod and how the blank actually behaves with 8,10, and 12lb fc. I see the rating is for 8-20lb line which I think seems a bit too wide for any blank to do effectively. Also the lure rating is 1/8-1oz which again is all over the place and doesn’t give much detail about the sweet spot for its use.

My planned use would be neko/occasionally wacky, finesse jig and shakey head (all in 1/8-3/8oz) on primarily 10 and 12lb line in deeper water 30+’ and also in shallower water with sparse grass where I still want “lighter” line but don’t want to go 6lb test like my true finesse setups. The reel I would plan on using would be the new Tatula 70SVTW. I know this reel has a max drag of 10lb but I would never be using anything more than 12lb test on it.

So I guess my question is, will this rod do what I’m wanting and also can this rod actually handle 8 and 10lb fc or is it just too much (line rating is really throwing me off). It sounds like it would be excellent for what I’m wanting to do but certainly am open for suggestions if it’s not a good pick. Wanting to stay $300 or less regardless for the rod. Thanks guys and have a great weekend
    You may want to watch the countless Feider's milfoil flipping videos. It's his rod of choice for the technique and he talks about why he likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by HobeyBaker View Post
    You may want to watch the countless Feider's milfoil flipping videos. It's his rod of choice for the technique and he talks about why he likes it.
    I clicked on a few and no mention of this rod in particular. Care to share the exact one if you know it off hand? If not, no worries

8. Member
    I love this rod!! I have 2 I have used them a lot!! I use it with 14lb sniper, I cast wt less stick worms to 5/16 jigs. In my opinion I would not go over 3/8…. You would be fine with 10lb line. This rod has a great balance and to me there is something special about it. I own a few NRX (853,894) a steez bottom contact, all the AGS elite rod and they (AGS rods ) are some of my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    I love this rod!! I have 2 I have used them a lot!! I use it with 14lb sniper, I cast wt less stick worms to 5/16 jigs. In my opinion I would not go over 3/8…. You would be fine with 10lb line. This rod has a great balance and to me there is something special about it. I own a few NRX (853,894) a steez bottom contact, all the AGS elite rod and they (AGS rods ) are some of my favorite.
    You think 8lb is doable with it? Just wondering because of the line ratings. If I used 8lb on it, it would be for neko and shakeyhead in deep rocky lakes with clearer water. However the majority of the time I will be using 10lb sniper fc

Is 8lb too light for it?

10. Member
    I think 8lb would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    I think 8lb would be fine.
    Thanks Redog, much appreciated

12. Member
    If you wind up being unhappy with that rod for those applications (sounds like you won't though), I'll just add that st. croix medium/fast blanks run a tad heavy compared to other brands and have always thought of them as a medium+ or med/med-heavy and use a 7'0" m/f exactly as you described on your original post. I run it with 8lb pline cxx and an alphas sv reel and I can cast a trick worm on a 1/8 oz head or jig-wacky a respectable distance, a very versatile blank and the one I almost always grab for bank fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassjam2000 View Post
    If you wind up being unhappy with that rod for those applications (sounds like you won't though), I'll just add that st. croix medium/fast blanks run a tad heavy compared to other brands and have always thought of them as a medium+ or med/med-heavy and use a 7'0" m/f exactly as you described on your original post. I run it with 8lb pline cxx and an alphas sv reel and I can cast a trick worm on a 1/8 oz head or jig-wacky a respectable distance, a very versatile blank and the one I almost always grab for bank fishing.
    Sounds like a great suggestion. I will keep it in mind too. I still use spinning rods for drop shotting vertically, hair jigs etc but man I really love fishing straight flouro for finesse on a bait caster setup. It’s my favorite way to fish anymore tbh

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    Sounds like a great suggestion. I will keep it in mind too. I still use spinning rods for drop shotting vertically, hair jigs etc but man I really love fishing straight flouro for finesse on a bait caster setup. It’s my favorite way to fish anymore tbh
    Speaking of dropshot I also use this setup for finesse bubba shot, an oxymoron for sure, but that 8lb pline is .30mm (most brands 10lb diameter) and would never work on a spinning reel without major headaches. It's a very much a finesse presentation but rigged weedless it's one that I can pitch it into all but the heaviest matted junk and still have fightin' chance.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    I use this rod extensively for throwing 3/32 oz Twistlock Light hook with 5 inch Caffeine Shads - probably weighs 3/8 oz total. Weed lines, skipping under docks, 12 lb fluorocarbon. Great rod, always on my deck, XF tip is very sensitive. Works well to Neko and shakey head 1/8-3/16 is the wheelhouse.
    What size hook do you use on those 3/32nds for the caffeine Shad?
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

Got the ehrler m/mh xfast finesse tatula elite from omnia this evening. Put the daiwa sv tw 70 on it and some 8lb sniper. Feels really great balance wise and just tinkering with it seems to be plenty sensitive. Will get it out on the water in the next few days lord willing and drop a small review for it once I’ve got some time on it

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cbump View Post
    What size hook do you use on those 3/32nds for the caffeine Shad?
    4/0

So I got to use this rod on three separate trips and got to catch about a dozen bass ranging from 12” to 18”. I’ve been using a daiwa sv tw 70 8.1 and 8lb sniper. With the drag set correctly this is a great light bait casting set up for neko rigging and a shakey head. The AGS guides are very different but I do believe they add sensitivity to the blank. As far as durability, that remains to be seen but I try not to throw my gear around and rarely have broken guides anyway. Hopefully this will remain the case with AGS guides. As far as action I have to say it’s about as properly labeled as it can get. This rod does load close to the tip for good crisp hook sets but doesn’t have too much power for a standard neko hook with lighter wire. However I can definitely see myself putting 12-15lb line on it and chucking a 3-4” swimbait on it as well and have plenty of power to drive a medium wire hook home. In all honesty I haven’t lost any fish with this set up yet (sure I just jinxed myself) but I have to say that even though I’ve got mostly Dobyns rods in my arsenal, that this probably won’t be my last Daiwa Rod.

it’s sensitivity is excellent especially for the price point. I feel safe saying it is the most sensitive rod under $300 that I have ever used. Now I don’t know how much of it to attribute to the AGS or the blank but whatever the combination is, it works. The reel is exactly what I’ve come to expect from the tatula line up. Solid little reel that can spool up over 100 yards of 8lb test and chuck a 6” fat roboworm with a 1/16 nail in it a country mile (exaggeration of course but very pleased with casting distance). Of course as it stands stock, the reel won’t touch bfs ratings but is great for regular bass finesse fishing. With a 10lb max drag it’s got all I will ever want for finesse to light casting duty.

back to the rod, I guess I would say my final thoughts are that I’m pleased with the purchase. From the input in this thread, I pulled the trigger on it and have to say the good reviews proves to be accurate from my experience thus far. I know this rod could have a few other applications than my primary one but this is most likely going to be my primary neko/shakeyhead rod up to 3/8 at heaviest for the foreseeable future. Thanks again to everyone above who shared their experience and gave me feedback on what to expect. Much appreciated, hope everyone has a great week and May God bless

19. Member
    Good review, consistent with my experience too. For me, I probably wouldn’t use less than 10 lb fluorocarbon on that rod and usually use 12 lb. Have used as high as 16 lb when skipping Caffeine Shad around dock posts. I primarily use a Tatula SV TW with the rod. I do have a 70 SV on a different rod and sometimes get a little frustrated with that reel lacking casting distance, but if you are throwing 8 lb and very light lures that may work just fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    Good review, consistent with my experience too. For me, I probably wouldn’t use less than 10 lb fluorocarbon on that rod and usually use 12 lb. Have used as high as 16 lb when skipping Caffeine Shad around dock posts. I primarily use a Tatula SV TW with the rod. I do have a 70 SV on a different rod and sometimes get a little frustrated with that reel lacking casting distance, but if you are throwing 8 lb and very light lures that may work just fine too.
    i do think the casting distance with the lighter weights is helped a lot by the 8lb test being so thin. I do keep the drag backed off some of course to keep from breaking off but as long as I use thinner diameter hooks, I’m getting great hook penetration past the barb even on hook sets on long casts. For neko I’m using g finesse stingers and those little jokers are stupid sharp and thin as well but plenty stout. Shakey head I’m using g finesse tricky heads which have the tournament grade wire diameter as well which is fairly thin.
    Full disclosure, if I were using beefier hooks, I don’t believe I could pull off the 8lb test with this rod as I think the “line” that you would have to ride between drag settings and rod stiffness would prolly be tough to get right. I would expect not having it perfect with thicker gauge hooks would result in either break offs, or sub par hook penetration and lost fish.

but gosh dang that little neko hook is so sharp that Im convinced you could get it to set past the barb with 4lb test ��

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast