Ultrex heading sensor troubleshooting help

Hey all,

I am in need of your expertise and advice on getting my ultrex back to what it was. Today while in a tourney I noticed my heading sensor was flashing periodically while the trolling motor was in use. Plus, while in spot lock, my boat would move around and overcompensate more than it ever has. I’ve read about how it could be my puck. While I have tried everything I can’t get it to pair with my trolling motor. When I hit the pair button on the head of the ultrex and hit my puck until it flashes about two per second. Still nothing. It won’t pair. And I can’t get it to pair with the remote either. I’ve tried restoring to factory settings on the remote with no luck. And on the remote, it doesn’t even have the calibrate option on the screen. So I’m thinking I have a bad sensor? Has anyone dealt with this before? And changed sensors and it was back to normal? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

2. Member
    Make sure you use the manual and go step by step on the instructions. The proper situation with the heading sensor is, the light blinks once every 3 seconds when everything works properly during normal operation. To begin with MK says the heading sensor is not used for anything but the jog feature. Everything else works even if you have no power to the puc. Make sure your remote is charged or has fresh batteries before you start any testing depending on the model(link or just ipilot). JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    The first problem you had was not related to the sensor. It was related to the boat scale adjustment which should be a -2 or in some cases a -1. As Bob stated the puck does not have anything to do with spot lock unless you use the jog feature. The puck will blink blue when it is paired to the troll motor and red when it is not. To pair the puck to the troll motor it is best to have the troll motor deployed and then try the pair process. If the motor was not deployed then the magnets in the motor will interfere with the pairing process. In the case of the remote then you will have to go to the system menu and hit pair while holding the pair button. It should pair almost instantly. I also recommend you do an update on the GPS module with the phone app. Pairing procedure with you phone is like any other pairing procedure.
    Once you have the remote paired to the troll motor then it will also have to do the update on the remote in the system menu.
    The puck will only pair to the troll motor and not any other device.

4. Member
    I’ve read where it says you don’t “need” the puck unless you’re using the jog feature. Other sites say it helps the accuracy and precision when in spot lock.

Quote Originally Posted by kfawns View Post
    I’ve read where it says you don’t “need” the puck unless you’re using the jog feature. Other sites say it helps the accuracy and precision when in spot lock.
    I use the Minnkota Heading Sensor and iPilot GPS for navigation with Humminbird units and to mark and display waypoints on the MEGA 360 and MEGA LIVE views via iPilot LINK.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL