Trim and Steering at higher speeds...

So, took the Skeeter ZX225 out today on the way to the shop for some more seat time, wanted to put a few longer runs on it before dropping off for the 225 20-hour service...

Finally was able to get some higher speed/higher rpm runs, basically ran up and down the SJR a few times... nice day, not slick but pretty close. Fished a little but mostly just ran the boat. Was able to run it between 5k and 5800 on some extended runs. Also getting used to trim by feel/sound vs the gauge... getting better but not completely there yet. :).

This is probably boating 101 stuff, but at higher speeds say 60-65+, when it's hard/stiff to turn the wheel (ie small adjustments, not big turns of course), does that indicate a need to trim up a bit more, or trim down a bit? or something else? I also notice above 65 or so i started to get some chine walk, so didn't venture any faster than that. May be more of a driver education deal there, but tbh 65 was plenty fast for me lol. Also still trying to learn when to stop trimming up at speed... will come with seat time, I suppose.

2. Member
    Seat time, the torque steer is normal whether trimmed or not, might get some easier stretched out as time passes, chine walk can be learned, when I begin to experience do a slight left and gradually learn not to have to put some left in it. As time goes by you won’t be able to make it chine walk
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    If I understand your problem, My Z19 has the same issues. I installed the SeaStar power assist steering system. It eliminates all steering torque at any trim level. The cost is not cheap but eliminating the stress on my shoulders was totally worth it.
    Jim
    Old Guy
    2021 Z19 Pro

When you have hard steering it's usually caused by being trimmed to high. Every boat is different, and most over trim. Start with your trim all the way down as you take off. As your boat starts to plane, ease back slightly on the throttle and ease up on the trim until it feels like you have "Power Steering". Smooth and easy both left and right. Thats the sweet spot. When you over trim, the RPM's will go up and your "Rooster Tail" will go higher. It should never be higher than the height of your motor. When you encounter rough water, an other boats wake, or when you are slowing down, ease down on the trim. It's a lot of seat time to get to know your boat and the set up for you to get the "Feel" !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Good info, thanks all. Boat is at shop getting 20 hour service, but I should have it back next week and will put in some more time on the water Friday... It's only gas, right lol.

My experience with trim and steering effort has been opposite ton what others have posted.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

Ran some more full throttle runs after picking the boat up from it's 20 hour service yesterday. Was deliberate in not trimming up as much and did not see any stiff turning or chine walk into the mid-upper 60's. Hard to check rooster tail but best I could tell from craning my head around it seemed to be about motor height - perhaps a smidge higher with lighter spray - but not way up in the air or anything like you see on some YT vids...

Still learning - the trim gauge is not 100% consistent. I've adjusted the sensor once but seems like I need to tweak it a bit more - bottom of trim is just under 1/4 on the gauge, so when I get to the top of the gauge I am not exactly sure where that is in relation to the range of trim, but it will trim up quite a bit more from there before the "upper trim" part kicks in (testing on trailer, not on water lol). So, when I see the needle at top of trim gauge, I know there is more "available" but not sure how much since the needle will stop there.

I have Yamaha NEMA setup so may just convert over to digital trim gauge, it's a fairly straightforward change... if I can figure out what the numbers mean, ie 100% trim, 124% trim, etc.

Just need more seat time... depending on weather and holiday traffic I may go out again this weekend sometime... but just don't want to deal with the holiday boat follies tbh.