Thread: Merc,Merc,Merc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    It seems like Mercury has been more prominent on bass boats for years.

2. Member
    Supply chain for sure and Yamaha is always going to keep the brands they own in motors before filling the orders to other brands. And if you saw the rebate and kickback dollars that companies like Ranger/White River get for rigging 90% of their boats with Mercury you would be floored.

3. Member
    As the number of Mfg. in a market shrink, the one's left have a tendency to raise prices, delivery and service slows, and they become harder to deal with. There is no substitute for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Yeah I never really understood that. I prefer Mercury because they are made here. I always thought it was funny what people thought about 4 strokes. Every other company made a 4 stroke and everyone poo-pooed them but as soon as mercury came out with one the stated dis-advantages became the advantages and everyone wanted to ditch their motor to buy one. To put it plainly many bass fishermen have their head far up mercury's ass.
    SO true! The Pro XS Optimax was king, superior to all other engines. The V8 Mercury 4 stroke comes out....."That 2 stroke Pro XS is junk, shitty compressor, bad injectors, always have to add oil""
    Its quite comical to hear and read some of the comments from die hard Merc fans.

With regards to seeing Mercs everywhere...can't get an SHO unless you have a skeeter. Suzuki is getting better and starting to see more and more but they just released a new 250 so not sure when we will see that with everything thats going on. Honda...well they just never really took off like I think they thought it would.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    I have been going to NW Ontario for years. Resort owners tell me their main consideration is availability of dealers. In their area there is a Yamaha dealer and nobody else. So they buy Yamaha.

6. Member
    We built our house 7 years ago up on the ledge on the outskirts of Fond du lac which is the home office and mfg of Mercury Marine. Ironically our land was once owned by Carl Kiekhaefer (original founder of Mercury Marine). The land up here was originally used for his secret race track for his original snowmobiles. Always have had a Merc!
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    My Mercs have been trouble free. Also lots of mechanics around.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12