2001 200 efi not cranking over very well.

2001 200 efi serial# ot390682 rebuilt powerhead last year.when I go to crank the engine over after the initial start there is like there is no juice the first couple of tries then on the 3rd try it usually starts but barely, I had a similar issue last year so I replaced the battery and that seem to help. I took the boat out today and had it happen on 2 different occasions and once the boat was underway seemed to struggle getting on plane. Do we think it's a battery issue, a starter issue or something else thanks.

2. Member
    I would check the cables/connections first, at the battery and motor, check the cables for interior corrosion. Also check the battery is fully charged and make sure once running its being charged.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    Did you figure it out? my 2002 200hp EFI did that and starter was replaced to fix it.

4. Member
    I found a top bolt off the stater had fallen out it definitely helped but still not 100% the battery I put in is not quite right even though it tested ok.

5. Member
    starter should not affect performance unless hung in flywheel , replace batt and starter, enjoy outings
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................