Optimax lost power then came back.

2010 1.5L Optimax Serial# 1B803508 Model# 1090D73HY

I made a long 15 minute idle out of the back of a creek, then I made a short run on plane. When I got off of plane and back down to idle I noticed the motor was idling rough almost like it was down a cylinder, I tried to get back on plane but It didn't have much power and I couldn't get more than 2000-2500 RPM out of it. I checked the primer bulb and it was stiff, and I was getting no alarms or warnings on my smartcraft monitor. I turned it off for a few minutes and turned it back on and it was doing the same thing still, I drove around trying to get on plane for a few minutes then all of a sudden power came back and it shot up on plane like normal, also blew some smoke out when that happened. I tried to duplicate the problem again but it ran fine all the way back to the ramp. I checked all the plug wires and plugs on the ignition coils and they were tight. I just changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, fuel lines, and primer bulb 3 months ago. My thought is it could be an ignition coil going bad but I am open to other suggestions, never had any issues with it running before.

Same engine, same issue a while back. Ran over a wake and it started. Found starting battery cables "not tight" . They were not loose on the terminals by any means. Tightened them with a wrench when I got home. Issue disappeared. Happened again a year later. Same issue/fix.
    Last edited by Hyco Bass; 06-25-2022 at 08:02 PM.

3. Member
    I checked the connections and they are all tight.

That is how mine acted when a coil went bad. Was an intermittent issue for a while before it finally quit for good.

Don or one of the other smart guys will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

5. Member
    how many hrs on mtr ????? possible inject sticking, becareful powerhead damage can result
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    how many hrs on mtr ????? possible inject sticking, becareful powerhead damage can result
    About 245 hours.

7. Member
    original 90HP PCM ???????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    original 90HP PCM ???????
    No I still have it though, you think my PCM is going bad? I can swap them, but like I said it only did this once and I couldn't get it to do it again.

9. Member
    not really pcm get a bad rap they dont have many problems as folks think ,,sure sounds like connection problem to me

10. Member
    I pulled all the plugs and they looked fine, pulled the coils and ohmed out all the pins and they were all within the factory specs in the service manual, checked all the connections on the PCM, injectors, plugs and coils. Put it on the muffs and fired it up and it still runs fine, although it does have a slight stumble occasionally that I haven't heard before. Here is a crappy video of it, it does it a couple times starting around 35 seconds in.

11. Member
    Well I have had it out 4 times since then with no more issues so I guess something was loose.

12. Member

13. Member
    2 stroke or 4 stroke? If 2 stroke, I'd say it was due to the long idle, they don't like that.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater 2 View Post
    2 stroke or 4 stroke? If 2 stroke, I'd say it was due to the long idle, they don't like that.
    Optimax is a 2 stroke, I have fished idle speed lakes all day without any problems.