My Ultrex is a POS

I've about had it with Minn Kota... After getting my 36V I-Pilot/link TM out of the shop last week, I'm once again stuck with a motor that does not work!! last issue was random lights turning on and off on their own (spot lock, nav, & prop) When this would happen I'd loose steering and prop would stop. turn the unit off then back on and I'd be good to go for another min or two.. A new mother board, steering sensor, and armature.. And it was good to go. Till today, while on the water it suddenly felt like I was hitting bottom with the prop, (impossible as I was in 25' of clear water) After a second or two it suddenly stopped spinning. All other features have power, steering included. I tried my remote and it steers fine just does not move the prop even though it shows it was spinning.. Shear pin is fine.. Any ideas before I throw this thing on the dump and buy another manufacturers unit... It was purchased less then a year ago and is still under warranty... Sorry for the rant, just a bit frustrated for the money we pay..

hate to hear that. thought they had most the kinks worked out of the new ones.
    my first thought is water intrusion, second is armature, third magnets. Most any of these could have been a result of them replacing the armature.

3. Member
    That's exactly what I was thinking.. I just tested the leads going down to the motor and I have power there when I touch the pedal, so power to the head but prop no spinny.. Crazy thing is I felt a momentary grumbling feeling, like hitting a stick or bottom with the prop, then it instantly shut off.. Is that how armatures act when they get water in them?

4. Member
    Your first problem to me was related to weather you are unplugging your troll motor or disconnecting the power from the batteries with a breaker switch. Your second problem tom could be what happen at the repair shop where they did not tighten the housing correctly or they failed to replace the O-rings.
    As fishermen said I believe you have water intrusion in the motor.

5. Member
    So I just loosened the two 5/16 nuts holding the lower unit together (they were sorta, somewhat not tight) and without removing them I gently pulled it open just enough to see if water would drip out.. Nope.. Instead black dust fell out. Like mentioned this motor was just serviced and a new armature was put in maybe 40 hours ago. The dust really didn't smell burnt

6. Member
    That dust is probably ground up magnet. Needs to go back to the shop.

7. Member
    And that may have created the grumbling feeling just prior to it quitting.. What causes that? Just curious... Bringing it back to the shop Monday

8. Member
    Make sure they replace the motor/shaft assembly. I seem to remember Brad saying that was standard with internal motor problems. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Member
    I had my Ultrex quit in 3 major tournaments

shop replaced lower, next time new wiring, next time new foot pedal

i carried a fourtrax for backup in my truck

Bought new group 31 lead/acid batteries, no problem for a year or so, then started back again

shop told me if one cell develops voltage issues, Ultrex will have issues due to being voltage sensative

my friends did same thing, he went with lithium batteries no more issues

i just ordered lithiums for my boat