Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wal-Mart battery testing, what a joke

The 18 month old Everstart Maxx battery with 3 year replacement and 5 year warranty in my truck was acting suspect. Walmart was busy but they told me if I took it out they could check it right away. I removed the battery in 100 degree heat and took it inside. They hooked it to the little machine inside and after a couple minutes said it was good. I put the Battery back in my truck and left. I had my alternator tested and it was fine so I thought it must be a starter going bad. Took the truck to my mechanic. Next morning he calls and says it’s the battery. Shows me it drops to 9.3 volts under load. Take the battery back to Walmart and tell them to load test it. They take it to the back and bring a little slip back showing the voltage and the amps are fine.
    I ask for the automotive manager. She takes it back to the machine and repeats the test twice more with same result. Ask me to leave it a couple hours so she can check again for a voltage drop. I returned a couple hour later and same story. I took my battery and bought a new one at Autozone. Now everything is fine except my wallet is much lighter after buying a new battery and paying the mechanic. Walmart battery testing is a joke. I will never buy another battery from Walmart or anything else if I can help it.

2. Member
    I had the same thing. But I told them it leaks and not to put it in their tester. They then handed me a new battery. You may have the same battery with the Autozone but better service.

3. Member
    Yep. I had the same experience. My battery was brand new...purchased at Walmart on sat night and when I went fishing on Sunday all the humminbird units would shut off when I cranked the engine. Took it back on Monday and they hooked it to their "tester" and told me that it's good. I took the battery to Autozone and had them test it, of course it failed. I asked the guy for a printout of the test, then took that back to Walmart. They reluctlanty gave me a refund but also refused to give me credit for the core charge . I told the lady at Walmart that I know this isn't your fault but your process is NOT the correct way to test a battery. Swore to myself to never buy another battery there and I haven't

4. Member
    I’m sure Walmart has the finest mechanics to begin with

5. Member
    I use Costco for vehicle batteries. No questions asked on returns.
    The boat is different.

6. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I would have taken it to a different Wal-Mart. Maybe the machine was not set up properly or malfunctioning? As others said, not the best help there either.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

7. Member
    Anyone really expect something different?

8. Member
    wonder if you had a battery, that wasnt theirs and was known to be good and ask them to test it for you, would they show it was bad and try to sell you a new one ?

9. Member
    I havnt had any trouble with MANY wal-mart battery purchases .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

10. Member
    I've had good luck with the Everstart in my boat with exception of one recently that failed at 11 months (the previous one it replaced was 8yrs old). I went straight to the returns desk, told them what the issue was. They said go get you another one. I did, they took csre of it right then, no questions asked.

Now, a 4 wheeler battery is a different story. They don't last but a couple months beyond warranty. Aftet 2 in a row, I no longer use those.

11. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    You could have just stopped with "WalMart, what a joke"

Wife took her vehicle to Wallyworld for an oil change. Lets just say that we got a new engine out of the deal.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichPhoenix77 View Post
    I would have taken it to a different Wal-Mart. Maybe the machine was not set up properly or malfunctioning? As others said, not the best help there either.
    They typically just test for CCA, not if it holds voltage. Same deal with my boats starting battery when new. Dealer said it was “good”, had to have interstate do a multi hour deep cycle test to get a replacement.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Anyone really expect something different?

The proviso didn't look like this.......yet.

抱歉没有退货...

Bàoqiàn méiyǒu tuìhuò...

15. Member
    We have Batteries Plus here. They've always been a good source for me. Usually 10-15% off coupons too.

16. Member
    Do yourself a favor and get yourself an inexpensive Topdon battery tester. It will accurately test your battery, starter and charging system for only $25 and is stupid simple to use.

17. Member
    We all buy our batteries at Walmart because they are a good product and are sold cheap. If someone buys a battery from Walmart and expects great customer service and diagnostic service they are being fooled.

It’s not Walmart. The battery company makes them use a set machine and have to include the report with the returned battery. Most times they make you wait an hour or so for the machine to get it at the proper voltage for it to run the test. I have used a VAT40(actual carbon load tester) before which fails and they still say their machine says good
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

19. Member
    I am going through this now. They put a computer on it and said it was good. I reved the engine, they said the alternator was good. They mumbled something about the starter circuit. Well yes, not enough reserve to start the motor. Going back this and get a mananger to load test it. I have done that and know it fails.

If you think Walmart is bad don’t buy from a batteries plus. It can get worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast