New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Dexter axle with grease zerk fitting ???

I had a replacement axle put on my older Ranger trailer last year, it has a dust cap with a rubber plug under which is a zerk fitting to grease the hubs . I noticed some brownish looking stuff around the rubber plug so pulled it off and the dust cap was full of water.I clean it out best I could and pumped new grease in that seem to push the rest of the old grease and water out. Can this type set-up be replaced with a bearing buddy instead of the dust cap with rubber plug or not ? And would I have to remove the zerk fitting to do this ??? Nothing is leaking out of the rear seal IMG_4758.JPG
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    You could try a new cap and rubber plug,but my Dexters are so full of grease there's really no room for water, every spring a jack them up and slowly pump grease in them well spinning the wheels...I use a tube of grease on a two axle trailer,been doing this sense 2005.

3. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    so there should be no room the grease should fill the cap area then , maybe that was the problem, I had not checked the grease level since it was installed??? How often do you add it just every spring or during the season also ??

4. Member
    twitch

The current system on your axle is better than a bearing buddy, in my opinion.

The downfall for most people with the Dexter easy lube is they fail to spin the wheel while adding or exchanging all the grease as pointed out by JTN.

Spin and pump and the grease is pushed forward out the cap from the rear of axle and displaces any water and fills the hub cavity with grease.

Unlike a bearing buddy, you need to spin the hub.

Unlike a bearing buddy, the hub gets completely filled.

Just remember "Spin and pump".

You can clean some of the excess grease at the cap with a screwdriver and put the rubber plug back in cap.

Unless you are seeing grease sling on the wheel, the hub should still be full.

Grease does not just evaporate so with a full hub your only concern may be possible water intrusion.

I do my hubs just as JTN describes, but in the late fall rather than spring so I can check for water (possible seal leaks) and get them replaced before spring and also to prevent the bearings from sitting all winter with water intrusion.

Good luck

5. Member
    If you replace with bearing buddies be sure and remove the spindle's zerk fitting for the grease to have a channel to the rear bearing.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Gonna just do as stated above and make sure to check them every other month to be sure

7. Member
    I've had the same axle as you have for the past ten years. My first couple years I'd notice a small amount of water was getting inside my hubs where the rubber hub seals sets next to the spindle zerk. Just a guess but believe as the hub warms up and then you back into the water it has a tendency to suck the cooler water in past the rubber seal. I do like how the bearing buddys are designed being spring loaded to keep constant pressure in the hub, which should potentially help keep water out and grease around the bearings. I added buddy bearing but didn't want to lose the option to flush the bearing completely through the spindle zerk, so left the spindle zerks installed. Once a year I remove the bearing buddys and flush the entire hub through the spindle zerk. Reinstall the bearing buddys and slightly regrease. I've been using this method for 8 years with no water intrusion or issues.

8. Member
    Related: I put a new axle under my Rangertrail this spring with the EZ Lube system, replacing the Bearing Buddies that I've had on two trailers in 33 years. Had a problem where the hub installer had bent the cotterpin incorrectly and it sliced the rubber dust plug. Those dust caps will not survive removal (for seal or bearing adjustments) like Bearing Buddies will, So I'd recommend having a couple extra in stock as well as the rubber plugs (I keep a set in the boat).

I've slung off a few Buddies over the years, so I'm happy to eliminate that issue.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I think that is what is happening to my mine, the cotter pin is not position correctly and slicing the rubber plug as it is going down the road. I will pull the dust cap and see how the cotter pin is positioned and then reposition it and put new rubber plugs bought a few extra yesterday..

10. Member
    I’ve started putting a little bit of grease around the rubber plug before installing and don’t seem to get water in that cap area as often. Just a little bead around the outside before you out it back on.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I just checked my plug again on the port side and it was sliced again, so will have to pull and check that cotter pin also the grease is kinda brownish tint not red like when it went in ,so some water intrusion definetly I will pick up some new dust caps also and plugs and give it a try ,if that doesn't work then will next bearing buddies and put those on over the zerk fitting like Shotgun1 did and see how that works out for me

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    TTT

IMO....if you go with the bearing buddies -- for it to work properly -- the spindle zerk needs to be removed !!!
    Also, most bearing buddie failures are from pumping too much grease.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    IMO....if you go with the bearing buddies -- for it to work properly -- the spindle zerk needs to be removed !!!
    Also, most bearing buddie failures are from pumping too much grease.
    How much grease is too much?
    Do you pump in enough grease to extend the bearing buddies out as far as they will go, or just until they start to move outward?

Have to find out from the instructions -- been too long since I've had them.
    Same for adding grease. Many folks would add grease when not needed which would force it out the rear seal.

16. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I think I'm going to leave the easy lube as they are but use the Bearing Buddies as dust covers instead of what IU have with the rubber plugs and just fill till it starts to move once the hubs are full ...