Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for New Cranking Battery

My Sears PM-1 is 7 years old and I think it about needs to be replaced. Wish I could buy another PM 1.
    My motor is an Optimax 150 and I understand it needs 1000 cranking amps, plus 2 Lowrance electronics.
    Looking at the X-2 Power at Batteries Plus.
    Any other ideas. I understand you can't use lithium batteries to crank this motor?
    Thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    My Sears PM-1 is 7 years old and I think it about needs to be replaced. Wish I could buy another PM 1.
    My motor is an Optimax 150 and I understand it needs 1000 cranking amps, plus 2 Lowrance electronics.
    Any other ideas. I understand you can't use lithium batteries to crank this motor?
    Thanks
    I’m currently at batteries plus as I’m writing this lol! I just bought the x2 size 31. Will be more than enough and then some!

3. Member
    I use one of these, runs all electronics and cranks the motor without issue.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...s30/10548168-P

4. Member
    Thanks
    People will throw a fit with this statement, but I’ve had yet to hear a credible source show me an example of a lithium battery damaging their motor electronics. Thousands of people including myself are running lithium starting batteries.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    My Sears PM-1 is 7 years old and I think it about needs to be replaced. Wish I could buy another PM 1.Thanks
    Odyssey made them for Sears and just relabelled them. Buy an Odyssey 31M PC 2150 as it is the identical battery as the Sears PM1.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Thanks, I was thinking there was a battery the same as the PM 1
    Still might have to go with the X2 for availably, But going to check around.

If the cost is too much, This may be a good second choice... Check out specs... https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT7234

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

8. Member
    I know people are going to crucify me but I really dont care. Ive been buying those Walmart batteries for over 20+ years. Cars, trucks, boats,.....you name it. Ive never had one go bad on me. They work as good as any other battery on the market and are cheap. I did end up buying a Duracell battery for one of my boats because "best battery", it lasted 2 seasons.....junk. And as far as those $1000 lithium batteries......I can buy 10 Everstarts

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    People will throw a fit with this statement, but I’ve had yet to hear a credible source show me an example of a lithium battery damaging their motor electronics. Thousands of people including myself are running lithium starting batteries.
    I wish I could remember my source. I want to think it was a person that is involved in battery distribution that was on Bass Talk Live. They explained the differences between lead acid, AGM and there is multiple types of lithium batteries and why lithium can be a bad choice if its a certain type of lithium battery. To the best of my memory there is more than one type of lithium battery that can been used as a cranking battery for a boat. None do any damage to the engine or any accessories. However there is an issue that does exist. The issue is the one specific type of lithium battery can cause your motor to stop just like you pulled a kill switch when running high rpm's. Basically it will start the motor and run all your accessories but when you crank the motor rpm's up to 5500-6000 rpm the input that charges the battery become too great and the result is it kills the motor to protect the battery. Running wide open throttle and instantly turning off the motor creates a dangerous situation. So for liability issues some motor manufactures say not to use lithium as a cranking battery when in fact its oaky but only as long as you use the right type lithium battery...I'm pulling this from my memory and this is the best I recall. Do some research and you may be able to find where I remember getting this information. Yes lithium is okay to use as a cranking battery but the specific answer is the correct type lithium battery is okay but the wrong type can be hazardous.

10. Member
    I just purchased the X2 from batteries plus, and for the same reason you mentioned. It was the only AGM that met the 1000CA my outboard requires. It was more than I hoped to spend, but came with 4 year replacement warranty.

11. Member
    You have to make sure BMS (Battery Management System) is fine for your outboard. I run a lithium starting battery and would never go with a no name / ebay / amazon type. I would not want to driving at WOT and have my motor shut off...

Thanks
    Been using an Ionics 125ah lithium cranking battery for my 07 150 OptiMax since November without any issues. Running 2 Lowrance graphs all day, and a few accessories (no livewells), the battery stays at 95-99% SOC if I make a run of any length during the day. Running livewells all day can pull it down to 70%. Simply amazing for a 28 pound battery. Cranks and supports accessories and electronics without even straining.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

I just bought a West Marine Starting battery, 1050 cranking amps and 182 reserve minutes, group 27 for $170 for my Optimax, awesome starting battery and also run electronics off of it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Odyssey made them for Sears and just relabelled them. Buy an Odyssey 31M PC 2150 as it is the identical battery as the Sears PM1.
    X2 has a longer warranty and can be had cheaper with discounts, same specs as Odyssey 31M PC 2150

15. Member
    Batteries plus advertises a good warranty until you need it. I will never purchase another X2 battery

16. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    On my second x2. Awesome battery
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

17. Member
    Just bit the bullet and bought a X2. Sure hope I get 4 plus trouble free years out of it!

Bought an X2 earlier this year. It's a beast to get in the boat but it does it's job.
    I'm also puzzled by the lithium resistance by outboard companies. I'll bet that changes as soon as they come out with their own brands; kinda like two stroke oil, it'll be a captive audience money maker.

Basscat Eyra
    Mercury 250 ProXS

19. Member
    Love my Odyssey Group 31 AGM.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

20. Member
    Ive never had any issues with Interstate or Walmart batteries and never needed over a Group 24 starting battery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast