Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If my charger was a Dual Pro, and I had to decide between an Odyssey and an X2/Northstar, it would definitely be the Odyssey. There have been numerous reports here on BBC the past couple of years of the Dual Pro chargers not being able to bring the X2 to full charge, and consequent premature failure of the battery.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Ive never had any issues with Interstate or Walmart batteries and never needed over a Group 24 starting battery.
    Must not be running many electronics off of it and trying to crank an Optimax then.

3. Member
    Ive never had any issues with Interstate or Walmart batteries and never needed over a Group 24 starting battery.
    Then —-1. You don’t run multiple large electronics off your cranking battery.
    2. You don’t run livewell pumps and aeration on manual all day.
    3. You don’t fish much in cold weather, or crank your engine multiple times in a day
    4. You don’t run a 150 or larger outboard, and/or you choose to ignore the engine mfg. recommendations.
    5. you are just extraordinarily lucky.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwhitten View Post
    Then —-1. You don’t run multiple large electronics off your cranking battery.
    2. You don’t run livewell pumps and aeration on manual all day.
    3. You don’t fish much in cold weather, or crank your engine multiple times in a day
    4. You don’t run a 150 or larger outboard, and/or you choose to ignore the engine mfg. recommendations.
    5. you are just extraordinarily lucky.
    Its a 08 Optimax.225 Fished plenty of all day events with live wells running .I dont leave depth finders on most days fishing.My 3rd boat with a Optimax .All were fine with Group 24 Never not started. Current set are almost 5 years old.Optimax dont require 27 or bigger just need 1000ca ,Fish year round.
    Last edited by DaveBrabec; 06-26-2022 at 12:57 PM.

5. Member
    Its a 08 Optimax.225 Fished plenty of all day events with live wells running .I dont leave depth finders on most days fishing.My 3rd boat with a Optimax .All were fine with Group 24 Never not started. Current set are almost 5 years old.Optimax dont require 27 or bigger just need 1000ca ,Fish year round.
    Then, #1 and 5 clearly apply!

6. Member
    Guess ive been lucky for over 20 years of running them.

7. Member
    #4 also.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    #4 also.
    Merc manual says 1000 ca 800 cca. which is what came new in 2 of the boats.Never an issue
    Battery rating1000 marine cranking amps (MCA)or800 cold cranking amps (CCA)
    Right out of the Manual.

9. Member
    Merc manual says 1000 ca 800 cca. which is what came new in 2 of the boats.Never an issue
    Battery rating1000 marine cranking amps (MCA)or800 cold cranking amps (CCA)
    Right out of the Manual.
    Also says 180 reserve capacity which I guarantee a group 24 battery doesn't have.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    If my charger was a Dual Pro, and I had to decide between an Odyssey and an X2/Northstar, it would definitely be the Odyssey. There have been numerous reports here on BBC the past couple of years of the Dual Pro chargers not being able to bring the X2 to full charge, and consequent premature failure of the battery.
    Your making me rethink my decision on the X-2. I was headed to Batteries Plus to get a load test and buy the X-2 if needed. But I have the the Dual Pro chargers and my PM-1 is 7 years old which for me has been nothing but great. It will still crank the engine; but seams a little sluggish at times. And I noticed that the volt meter seems to drop off a little quicker when I'm fishing. Wonder why the Dual Pro want do a full charge. Also wonder if I hook at Battery Tender charger to the battery after the Dual Pro stops if that would bring it to full charge. I know it would be slower. Looking at The Odyessy online store they have both Odyessey and Northstar available. Are they made by the same manufacturer?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    If the cost is too much, This may be a good second choice... Check out specs... https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BAT7234
    This battery is awesome. Ran it for 2 years on my 2018 z19. Powered all my "stuff", power poles, livewells, livescope, etc without difficulty. Never hesitated to start the motor.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Your making me rethink my decision on the X-2. I was headed to Batteries Plus to get a load test and buy the X-2 if needed. But I have the the Dual Pro chargers and my PM-1 is 7 years old which for me has been nothing but great. It will still crank the engine; but seams a little sluggish at times. And I noticed that the volt meter seems to drop off a little quicker when I'm fishing. Wonder why the Dual Pro want do a full charge. Also wonder if I hook at Battery Tender charger to the battery after the Dual Pro stops if that would bring it to full charge. I know it would be slower. Looking at The Odyessy online store they have both Odyessey and Northstar available. Are they made by the same manufacturer?
    Enersys, the parent company of Odyssey, actually bought Northstar a year or two ago. Odyssey also publishes a list of approved chargers for their battery, and the Dual Pro with Delta Volt has been on their list for a long time. Even if the Odyssey were more money, I would buy it if my charger were a Dual Pro. JMO.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I spoke with dual pro directly just to verify that my charger would be able to take care of an Agm battery. He ensured me that my charger would take care of the x2 with no problem. Now he said if I went lithium, which I wouldn’t, would be a different story. My dual pro does have delta volt also btw.

14. Member
    picked up 3 odysseys extreme 31 series dual purpose today slightly used for 300 bucks
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

16. Member
    Part #7234 or 7235 on this battery, according to what posts you are using. It also leaves you heavier in the wallet and a beast of a battery as a bonus!
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkat7 View Post
    This battery is awesome. Ran it for 2 years on my 2018 z19. Powered all my "stuff", power poles, livewells, livescope, etc without difficulty. Never hesitated to start the motor.

17. Member
    https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...ry/1006725_0_0

I've had zero issues out of this battery.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

I have used the Napa group 31 commercial battery someone else recommended, but I don't think it is a high quality battery.

I had one go to hell in 10 months and when this next one goes to hell I am going to get the x2 group 31 and just be done with it as they sell them at a local batteries plus.

I am not an electrician, but it is my understanding that lithium batteries right now for marine use are not consistently made and there are some safety features on some but not all, including cold or warm use protection.

Additionally, it is known that lithium batteries charge much quicker so what happens when a battery is fully charged and you are putting full charging load back into the battery when running WOT with your outboard? There has to be some kind of power management here to essentially lower charging amps to a trickle once the battery is fully charged. Without battery manufacturing consistency and charging management from the outboard designed for lithiums, you may run into issues.

There are a lot of people using lithiums as cranking batteries for Mercs without issues so YMMV.

I am definitely on the lithium bandwagon now, but when I was running traditional batteries, the the X2 Group 31 was my cranking battery of choice. I could run livewells all day, (4) 12" graphs, Power Poles, etc. and never once worried about the big motor cranking to get me back to weigh-in. The one hassle is that I've owned a few boats where they were NOT easy to fit into the battery compartment.

I'm not on the bandwagon yet - my AGM's are barely two years old, but when it's time... I might consider it.

I am considering adding a 50ah Lithium dedicated for electronics, however. Just have to determine where to put it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12