Question for fellow "Okies" about OK boat registration fees

I"d like to ask my fellow Oklahomans' about their experience with registration fees for their boat in OK. My situation is, I purchased a one-year old 2014 bassboat with a 250 HP outboard. I paid excise tax and registration of $151 on the boat hull which is the maximum registration according to their (ST of OK) website. Thats fine, however the website states that each year the registration should be 90% of the previous year, till year ten where it locks into a final value. In my case, my hull registration has been $151 every year and I'm looking at my renewal this year for $151. Oddly my outboard registration has declined every year. ??

I inquired last year at the tag agency and their answer was, "that's the way it is". I didn't like that answer, so the girl called someone upstream and their explanation was "that's the way it is". So I paid and went my way. I'd still like a better explanation, but I have not found a good phone number at the state level to call and pursue this. Just wanted to hear what other people in my similar position in OK have experienced. Thanks for looking at this, I would appreciate any info someone may have. Dave

2. Member
    Looking at my renewel for mine right now,and mine shows $151 for boat,and $151 for motor for 1 year. Or $408 for a 3 year on each. Purchased new in 2021. I've read that about the 90% calculations also and was dreading the cost of getting it tagged,but am relieved it's not 90% of what i paid last year.

3. Member
    Thanks for responding. If I understand you correctly, this is your first renewal. So it should be 90% of previous year ($151) or about $135 according to the state's published formula. Yours doesn't appear to be declining either. I just don't understand why it doesn't apply, I'm missing something apparently. I guess I should be happy my motor renewal has declined. Thank you again, would like to hear from others experience, Dave

4. Member
    Yes,first renewal for this boat. On my previous boats,I want to say the engine tag was higher in cost than the hull tag as far as them going off the MSRP amounts on the titles,but I don't know if that's how it's calculated anymore,as the price of the boat FAR outweighs the price of the motor these days.

5. Member
    Mine is a 17 model boat and motor, boat is still 151 per year and motor is down to 127 per year. Seems outrageous to me.

6. Member
    mine has stayed at $151 for 4 years both boat and motor, maybe at the end of 10 years it drops to 90%. my 06 dropped but i had it 14 years

7. Member
    09 puma ftd - 85 for boat 65 for motor

8. Member
    My boat is 20 years old and I still pay $126.00 per year. What a rip!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100

9. Member
    So there seems to be zero consistency from what Im reading. How do we questions this and get to the bottom of it? With fuel being so high every dollar counts for me!

10. Member
    $151 and $151 for my 2021 boat and motor. I personally don’t think the right to put a boat on the water in Oklahoma should be tied to what they think it is worth in the first place. The registration should be the same for a 2002 to 2022 boat and way less than we pay now. I understand the taxes being based on the value of the boat but not the registration.

11. Member
    Yes, I have had zero success getting a explanation of how they arrive at the current figures. It does appear it's all over the map. According to the "formula" posted on their website, most any boat sold nowadays would hit the original $151 max registration. With the stated declining scale of 90% of previous year's registration, it would seem we would all be paying the same amount each year. I gave up and renewed mine this year, keep trying to get an better explanation from the OTC.

Thanks everybody for your responses, it seems at least we're all in the same boat, so to speak. Dave

BTW, Here is the response I received from someone at the tax commission. It would seem to support my argument that the registration should be declining.

Hello,

I have attached the following from our site for you.

All fees are rounded to the nearest dollar.

Maximum registration fee is $151.00.

Manufacturer original retail price of $150.00 or less is $2.25 + $1.00.

Manufacturer original retail price over $150.00:

1st year fee is $2.25 + $1.00 for every $100.00 of the price or any fraction thereof.
    2nd through 10th year fee is + 90% of the previous year's price-based fee.
    11th year and thereafter is + 90% of the 10th year price-based fee.
    At their option, owners may register their boat or outboard motor for one or three years. The three-year registration fee is equal to 90% of the total of the individual year's fees.

Active-duty military personnel qualify for a special annual registration rate of $17.00 on boats and outboard motors, under the same guidelines as the military registration rate on vehicles. A completed US Armed Forces Affidavit is required to receive this rate.

Owners must carry the current boat and outboard motor registration in the boat while in operation.

Boat and outboard motor registration fees are based on the original retail factory delivered price and number of years registered.

12. Member
    I love old boats! Just $38 for the boat and $39 for the motor.

Maybe the actual calculated price is significantly higher than the maximum of $151. That calculated price is declining each year, but it's still over the $151, so it stays right there at $151 every year.

My wife car tag is done 6/30 and so she buys a 3 year tag for the boat/motor when there do.

14. Member
    Possibly Todd but where is the transparency in determining this, that is what I would like to see. Some formula that makes sense and we all would know what to expect. Its like buying a scratcher every time I go in that place.

15. Member
    When I registered my boat after purchase the tag office told me the cost of ttl was based on what the state valued it at. It cost me $3k. My boat was valued at $100k by the state much more than I paid for it.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

I’m a member of the Cherokee tribe and they have their own tag office. Mind you my 521 Ranger is a 2003 model, but the 3 year stickers for boat and 2003 Merc 250xs was about $40. Tagged 2 cars and 2 trucks and the boat and motor for $103.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

17. Member
    Bought a used boat out of Arkansas a few weeks back, 2007 Bass Cat P2 with a 2017 SHO. Went to register it yesterday, I had to pay excise tax of course which wasnt terrible. But the registration on a 15 year old hull was still 96 bucks and the motor was 116 bucks. Its so all over the map in this state.

Funny thing was, they guy from Arkansas I bought it from had to leave his current registration it (you need this to register a boat in OK from Arkansas) and for him is was 46 bucks to for 3 years to use his boat. Man does Oklahoma like to tax the snot out of everything. Really getting sick of some of this in our state especially to see that all of the tax dollars dont seem to go to improving anything???

Sorry, rant completed, going to my regularly scheduled programming now :)

all of the tax dollars dont seem to go to improving anything???
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175