Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    I will hit a end of the year sale at Cabela's which is about 5 miles from home. Last 4 rods were recommended in threads here and I shipped from 3 different outlets. I used to be a lot fussier and had to feel the rods but after owning 70 or 80 rods in total last 35 years I will also buy off of a local fishing website when someone is dumping rods in bulk. As fast as I break tips off of rods I like having a brunch of back ups. Last score was 4 rods for 150. I have enough now it's hard to not have around 18 give or take in the boat for a tournament when I fish alone.

I've been using Esox rods for the last 10 years or so I find there is no need to keep changing rod because some pro said so. I know that most don' know about Esox rods or that the owners invented the spook way back when.

3. Banned
    I'm a 'cheap screw™ / shortwallet™' and will hunt down a bargain. Brick & mortar shops' Clearance Rack and Clearance sections on-line. I had originally thought about 'just dying' and let TheWife™ fiddle with it in my stead but after losing my 'fishing buddy' and then losing the drive to fish, now I'm just letting the majority float away w/whomever buys the boat. I'd end up in Jail™ if I tried 'saling' on farcebook™ or other avenues of commerce™

@TackleWhorehouse™ always has usable gear at a discounted price..

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Clea...IQCASTROD.html

I pick a budget and then go with whatever has the highest reviews and falls within that budget. Tactical Bassin does a good job of recommeding gear at different price points. I'm pretty well all Dobyns Fury/Sierras at this point. I replaced most of my rods with them when Dobyns had a 40% off sale a few years ago. Great bang for the buck rods.
    2017 Legend SS 1860 Semi-V
    2013 Evinrude Etec 150/105 jet drive
    Minn kota Ultrex Quest Trolling Motor
    Humminbird Helix 9 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N (console)
    Garmin Echomap Ultra 106sv with LVS32 transducer (bow)
    YouTube: youtube.com/Etec86

For me it's feel. If it doesn't feel right you won't be inclined to pick it up to use

6. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky
    Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    Rick Clunn use to always say he used the same rod and reel for his different combos, other than spinning.
    That was 20 years ago, I believe that experiment is over.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebw View Post
    That was 20 years ago, I believe that experiment is over.

Little over 20 years for that article, yes. Explaining it is different for different people. And he was doing it before and after the article, and has made plenty bass fishing. But you can call it a experiment if you want. And I guess you will comprehend a reply the way you want. Carrying on.
    But different people have their different ways, and he was one of the greats when there wasn't as much money in it.
    But you may have past him with your ways.

8. Member

Little over 20 years for that article, yes. Explaining it is different for different people. And he was doing it before and after the article, and has made plenty bass fishing. But you can call it a experiment if you want. And I guess you will comprehend a reply the way you want. Carrying on.
    But different people have their different ways, and he was one of the greats when there wasn't as much money in it.
    Just because something works for a pro doesn’t mean its a good idea for the general public. I mean do you really want a heavy fast rod for a fish caught on thin gauge jerkbait hooks? Maybe you could make it work with mono and loose drag, but certainly wouldn’t recommend it for anyone.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Just because something works for a pro doesn’t mean its a good idea for the general public. I mean do you really want a heavy fast rod for a fish caught on thin gauge jerkbait hooks? Maybe you could make it work with mono and loose drag, but certainly wouldn’t recommend it for anyone.
    I have, just as you said, mono and looser drag. Some on here know jerkbait fishing was my main technique for years before health took me out. And times I definitely prefer the 7' heavy. Though my main one was a 6'10" medium heavy, that originally was a 7', but I broke the tip off. And I used Big Game 12# with it. And would catch most through the year on it. And people had seen plenty of threads I use to make. And I use to get PM's asking. And some members I would text with. It is different for each of us. And yes, I have straightened out plenty of hooks just enough for fish to get off. But have boated plenty as well.

Was just stirring the pot in the reply you quoted.

Even got compliments from this member, for getting him into bending hooks.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....754&highlight=
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 06-24-2022 at 06:19 PM.

10. Member
    Evansville, Indiana and Eddyville, Kentucky

I would never belittle Rick Clunn.

But I bet he doesn’t do it that way anymore.

Prove me wrong, that is like my idol.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joebw View Post
    I would never belittle Rick Clunn.

But I bet he doesn’t do it that way anymore.

Prove me wrong, that is like my idol.
    I don't know what he is doing know. Just seen different things through the years spaced out, where he said the same. That all of his bait casting rod and reel combos were the same. I don't know the guy. But I could say the same as you. Prove me wrong that different times spaced out over the years he didn't say it.
    I am sure someone on here knows him personally. Maybe they will respond.

12. Member
    I have, just as you said, mono and looser drag. Some on here know jerkbait fishing was my main technique for years before health took me out. And times I definitely prefer the 7' heavy. Though my main one was a 6'10" medium heavy, that originally was a 7', but I broke the tip off. And I used Big Game 12# with it. And would catch most through the year on it. And people had seen plenty of threads I use to make. And I use to get PM's asking. And some members I would text with. It is different for each of us. And yes, I have straightened out plenty of hooks just enough for fish to get off. But have boated plenty as well.

Was just stirring the pot in the reply you quoted.

Even got compliments from this member, for getting him into bending hooks.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....754&highlight=
    It’s an interesting thought just adjusting drag and line weight / type for technique rather than the rod, certainly can be done as Rick proved. That said, I certainly don’t want to try to cast 110 Jrs with a heavy rod.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I've been building my own for close to 20 years now because back then I couldn't find exactly what I wanted. Today there are so many options it's got to be tough. I did buy a Megabass Levante Shaky Head a few years ago just to see what they were all about and I also got an Orochi Perfect Pitch in a trade and they make a great rod, I like mine better but they're really really nice. Based on that and all of the rods I've repaired over the years I'd pick either ALX or Megabass if I was buying off the shelf rods just based on the build quality.
    Exactly what I did. There are so many variables from the Blank itself to guides to handles you just get spoiled getting what you want instead of settling. Most companies are forced to use cheap components to meet certain price points but there are definitely some great rods out there but they are going to cost you some jack.

14. Member
    I've tried a lot of different brands and have found that picking one and sticking with it helps the most. For me that is Dobyns, I like the balance, sensitivity, different price points for bottom vs reaction baits, and overall action/power/tip of the rods themselves. I know what I'm getting with each rod based on power, length, action. Hard to do that between different brands because they can vary so much from manufacturer to manufacturer.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I take the word of folks on here more than I would a professional endorsement. Professional endorsements don’t mean squat.
    Completely agree! If "pro bass fishing" ceased to exist there would still be millions of anglers. I prefer overall feel, build quality, price and warranty. Personally I started using St Croix as I like the fact the rods are / were manufactured in the US.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123