Cumara gen 1 dropshot rod

Love my cumara gen 1 7'2" dropshot rod. Tip got broke on it so looking for a rod with very similar action...any recommendations as love the very fast (soft) tip into a medium spinning rod.

Thank you!
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I feel your pain. I got a hold of the same rod - 10/10 mint condition a couple of years ago and snapped the tip 2 weeks later. Completely my fault. Wasn't even fishing with it when it happened. At least you got to enjoy yours.

3. Member
    I can't speak of the Cumara's tip, however the St Croix MLXF blank is a very good drop shot rod. Very fast and soft. Also have a MXF but IMO not soft enough for drop shot. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a standard across the rod industry?

4. Member
    I can't speak on the 7-2" cumara, but i'm still using two of the 6-8" original dropshot cumara's and they're still by far my favourite dropshot rods. I've tried ML st croix's which were okay, the loomis 822 rods are awesome too (GLX and NRX) but for the price, i honestly really like the Expride Light+...it's the closest in feel/ actions that i've ever come to finding something similar to that original cumara without spending twice as much on an NRX

5. Member
    I love the St Croix MLXF rods for drop shot. I have an older Loomis DSR with the weibe handles and it honestly rarely sees daylight. I’d much rather fish with a St Croix Avid X 6’9ml
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    I have the 822dsr NRX but the length is shorter and just lacks the crispness of the tip the gen 1 cumara had...dreaming of a copy cat....LOL

7. Member
    The Gen 1 Cumara drop shot rod was a special stick. Despite its heavier tip / balance point, this rod was perfectly built for drop shotting. The extra length gave the tip that slightly more parabolic action to keep fish pinned on the retrieve, but with enough backbone to control the fish during the fight without fear of breaking off. Two years ago, in the fall during the fall feed period, I caught two 20" brook trout on this rod and just couldn't believe how well this rod handled those fish (which have a tendency to "cork screw" on their way back to the boat during the fight). I hooked and landed several smallies over 5 lbs with zero issue. The Gen 1 Cumara Drop Shot Rod was truly a unicorn and honestly way ahead of its time (likely the best DS of its day).

The reference to the unicorn was intentional. Having had a ton of on the water time with Gen 1 DS rod, and with the Steez 7'6" MML, I think these two rods are VERY similar in their action and true power rating (versus stated lure rating on the blank). The extra length of the Steez 7'6" provides the same fish fighting parabolic action given the extra length with more than enough backbone to fight bigger fish. The Steez is way lighter than the Cumara and I find the grip WAY more comfortable as am a grip forward of the reel stem guy.

Of all the rods I have fished for the DS technique, to me, the Steez 7'6" MML is the closest thing I have fished that compares favorably to the 7'2" Gen 1 Cumara DS rod. Tight lines!

8. Member
    Great to hear this on the Steez and Ill be looking for one to try. THANK YOU

9. Member
    Never fished the Cumara but I still love my old Crucial drop shot rod and it’s my main stick for that technique all summer.

10. Member
    You could also check out the new Zodias ZDS72MLPA. It's the same lenght and looks to have a similar action.

I've got two of the red Cumara Xfast DS rods - those things are awesome. I also like the Dobyns extreme 702s.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

12. Member
    So what's the conclusion? I broke 7 ft medium crucial that I loved for drop shots this spring. Favorite drop shot rod ever. Finally over my grief, I'm ready to move on. Don't want to break the bank on a $400+ Loomis.

A friend recommended a Edge Delta 7 ft ML. Also considering a Zodias 7 ft ML, and Avid 7 ft MF.

13. Member
    That gen 1 crucial was great too. Had one and still remember the feel of it 10yrs later.
    Looks like 7"2" zodias MML isn't available anywhere I can find until late October...
    avid I've tried was decent but slower tip than I wanted.