Hatch hinge repair

I have seen many posts about this, but can't seem to get a good fix for my hatches and looking for some ideas.

The hinges on all my hatches have pulled out from the boat side, but are still fine in the door itself. I have tried bigger rivets but they just pull right back out. I have tried screws but there is nothing to grab onto.

Any other ideas on how to fix this? Do i fill the holes with an epoxy or something and re-drill? Will that be enough to hold them or will rivets blow out and crack the epoxy anyway?
    1996 Ranger 397xt
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 HP (Model: 1996 Johnson J200STLEDM)

2. Member
    I restored a boat a few years ago, if you can get to the back then a throughbolt with a nut/washer is the best way to go. The ones I couldn't I filled the old holes with resin/cabosil and used screws though I tried to drill holes in new areas. On the front deck hatch I used a couple of hinges like this

3. Member
    Must be a ranger. Drill new holes in the higes and into the lid. Some of the older turds did have enough room for an 8/32nd nut and bolt. I've done that as well.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

4. Member
    Try these. They expand on the back side.

5. Member
    Try these. They expand on the back side. https://www.strathcon.com/tri-fold-r...ct-detail.aspx

6. Member
    I epoxied threaded inserts into the blown out holes and used machine screws for the hinges. I needed low-profile head SS screws.
    zn.png

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

7. Member
    Thanks for all these suggestions! I think ill order the expanding rivets to see if those work first. I dont think there's any way for me to access behind the live wells and stuff, so this has to be a front side repair.
    1996 Ranger 397xt
    1996 Johnson Venom 200 HP (Model: 1996 Johnson J200STLEDM)

8. Member
    Try a tri-fold rivet. They install from the front and expand on the back side . I used these on my Ranger. https://www.strathcon.com/tri-fold-r...ct-detail.aspx

9. Member
    Quick Fix: put some toothpicks or small pieces of tie wrap in the screw hole before putting the screw in.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO