Spare Tire Issue

Took my second trip with my buddy in his new Vexus, with each trip I love this boat more and more.
    I am in my mid 60's and although I am in good health I am not as spry as I was even 10 years ago so one of the things I really like is how easy it is to transition from the back deck to the front deck. The step up from the cockpit is easy or because the middle section / cooler is so large I can easily step across the cockpit to the front.

I could go on and on but I do have a question; we live in a lake community so the distance to the ramp is just minutes, like less than 5 so trailering distance is minimal but when he launched me last Saturday (he prefers I put the boat on and off the trailer) the spare tire came floating to the surface. Obviously what ever holds the tire to the trailer either broke or is missing. Can anyone tell me how the spare is fixed to the trailer? This is a VX 20

2. Member
    The spare tire mount on your buddy's VX20 may be different, but here is a picture of the spare tire J-bolt off of my 2021 Vexus AVX 1980. When I first took delivery of the boat last spring, I decided to get a spare J-bolt and chose the 3/8" 18-8 stainless steel 4" J-bolt from the link below and it fits very well.

Alternatively, you can purchase a Grade 5 hex bolt from your local hardware store and utilize a few large size washers and a Nyloc locking nut to ensure the spare tire is properly secured to the spare tire bracket without having to resort to an online purchase as well.

Please have a great day!

J-Bolt Link: J-Bolts w/ nuts, Stainless steel 18-8, 3/8"-16 - Bolt Depot
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

3. Member
    Thank You !!

4. Member
    You are most welcome sir! It was a good excuse to break out my new Dewalt Atomic 20V Max Impact Wrench and it took less than three minutes to take the J-bolt off, take a picture, and put the J-Bolt back onto the spare tire bracket. I now carry the spare J-Bolt and a Nyloc locking nut with assorted large flat washers just in case, but I check the tightness of the J-Bolt and every other nut/screw on the Vexus boat and trailer during my monthly maintenance cycle, and it's been rock solid since I took delivery of the boat last spring!

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"