HDS 12 Live Water Intrusion Prevention?

Just sent my new HDS Live in for service due to water intrusion. Had it on my boat from April to May, first rain storm it went through it started acting funny. Found similar issues searching this board and suspected water was getting in through the card slot so I started my warranty claim with customer service (which was really quick and smooth, basically one day before I had my return shipping label). Card slot wouldn't work to export data and settings so figured that was the issue, but when I took the unit off the bow, wow is there a lot of water sloshing around in there. I had only used the card slot to install waypoints and settings when it was new, my mapping card is back in the console unit.

My question is has anyone else had this issue and more importantly, is there any way to stop the possibility of this happening in the future? I'm assuming that is has to do with the bow mount location being relatively flat compared to the console unit but I can't change the angle of the bow. Any ideas?
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

2. Member
    This is very rare so just wait for your new unit I am sure it will be fine must of been some defect for that to happen.

3. Member
    I got a 9 Live on the bow. Water got in it and fried components on circuit board. N2K circuit would not work.
    Bought a used mother board on ebay all good now. I fished one tournament in Feb. where it rained,sleet and snowed most the day.
    Always have the cover on it when it I trailer. I heard their is a pressure relief or vent on them. All the o rings looked good and everything was tight when I took it apart.

4. Member
    I had this happen to an older lowrance, even though they are waterproof I now go out of my way to keep them dry within reason. I take my units off when I can, especially if I suspect rain. A big ziplock bag over the top provides a lot of protection also. I never understood why all these units dont have a better setup for SD card. Put it on the bottom or something so gravity keeps water out.

5. Member
    I had a Live 9 get water in it. A little over a year old so was still under warranty. Sent it in and 2 month later Lowrance sent a new one to me after verifying water did get inside the unit. Crazy thing is it wasn't from rain but from dew being in the air!

Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    This is very rare so just wait for your new unit I am sure it will be fine must of been some defect for that to happen.
    Thanks for the reply, I hope you are correct. My dad also has a 12 live at the bow mounted on an over the pedal mount and set fairly flat so he can see it and is experiencing the same issues, he will be sending his back too. Started after it sat out in a big rain on a camping trip in early June. But I also don't see a lot of responses or similar issues on here so it can't be a widespread problem. My unit is back at the factory so just waiting for confirmation of water so they can send me a new one. I'll definitely start using the cover when possible during rain events to prevent this from happening again.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

Sometimes the nuts on the connection ports in back loosen and could allow water. They should be checked and tightened occasionally.