2017 Legend V20 Fuel Tank Capacity

Hey guys, still fairly new with the boat and new to boats with auxiliary tanks in general. Says it comes 50 gallons from the factory, and it has a switch between main and aux tanks. Do you have to switch between tanks when filling up to get the full 50 capacity?

Was running on a lake and my Merc monitor said I only used 32 gallons so I figured I had enough for the trip being I should have 50 gals. Wrong, ran out at 35 and had to troll back to a gas station to fill up on the shore. I never reference the factory gas gauge because it always shows near empty due to the tank design. Though the Merc monitor was supposed to be fairly accurate as well.

Someone please educate me. Thanks!

2. Legend Boats Moderator
    Maybe I’m wrong but I was only aware of one 50 gallon tank. Are you sure it was full to start? How much were you able to fill after running out?

3. Member
    My 2017 V20 also has main/aux. switch but single 50 gal. Tank switch is always left on main. Does nothing when switched to aux. Some other models had 2 tanks , 211, I think had 2 - 25 gal. tanks and used the same switch pad. I've noticed on my boat if it is not setting level i wont get 50 gal. in tank. if nose is high, tank will fill with the front, top part having a empty void. i have had as much as 8 gal. difference pulling in where i fill up. one way nose is down slightly. Other way nose is slightly up. When up tank does not fill completely. Up As it would be setting in the water dockside you may be as much as 10 or more gallons shy from being completely full. I have ran out, or low on fuel when at WOT and needed partner to sit on nose of boat and was able to make to gas dock at slow speed. every time i tried to speed up the front of boat would rise and fuel starvation would start again. fuel pickup must be midway in tank? Smart Craft indicated I had only used 42 Gal. of fuel. that's when it dawned on me that nose of boat needs to be level or nose down to insure 50 gal is in tank when full. Hope this helps. I wouldn't trade my LEGEND for nothing on the market today.

4. Member
    V-20 does not have two tanks only the single under the cockpit floor. The same keypad was used on all of the models and it did have a switch labeled main/aux but it's not active. The tank is labeled as 50 gallon but with the airspace requirement inside of the tank and depending on how the boat is sitting on the trailer or on the water when refueling "bow up or closer to level", if you can consistently get it to hold 45-47 gallons in it you are doing good. And trying to squeeze 50 gallons in it is not a good idea. The tank has a tendency to burp fuel up and back down into the vent line going up to the fill cap. When this happens the tank wont vent properly and makes it a PAIN In The Azz to fill the tank at all after that due to fuel being trapped in the vent hose.

Thanks all for clarification! When I refueled on the shore, I put in about 13 gallons using a 5 gal tank. Couldn’t fill the 5gal all the way so I’m assuming about 13gals. I used 3gals going back fishing and to the dock. When I got back home I was able to fill it up about 35gals, so I guess I’m around what capacity you all have reported. I’ll remember about the nose lift and what not when filling up and driving.

I did have my entire family of four on the boat, so we had 470lbs in the back of the boat. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by BassAssassin22 View Post
    Maybe I’m wrong but I was only aware of one 50 gallon tank. Are you sure it was full to start? How much were you able to fill after running out?
    When I first got her, I wasn’t sure how much was left in the tank, but I didn’t run her dry from the previous owner. I was attempting to run out the gas as much as I could after my last fill up, which was about the same 35ish gallons, so that mission accomplished haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro37 View Post
    My 2017 V20 also has main/aux. switch but single 50 gal. Tank switch is always left on main. Does nothing when switched to aux. Some other models had 2 tanks , 211, I think had 2 - 25 gal. tanks and used the same switch pad. I've noticed on my boat if it is not setting level i wont get 50 gal. in tank. if nose is high, tank will fill with the front, top part having a empty void. i have had as much as 8 gal. difference pulling in where i fill up. one way nose is down slightly. Other way nose is slightly up. When up tank does not fill completely. Up As it would be setting in the water dockside you may be as much as 10 or more gallons shy from being completely full. I have ran out, or low on fuel when at WOT and needed partner to sit on nose of boat and was able to make to gas dock at slow speed. every time i tried to speed up the front of boat would rise and fuel starvation would start again. fuel pickup must be midway in tank? Smart Craft indicated I had only used 42 Gal. of fuel. that's when it dawned on me that nose of boat needs to be level or nose down to insure 50 gal is in tank when full. Hope this helps. I wouldn't trade my LEGEND for nothing on the market today.
    I wouldn’t trade my V20 either. Pretty much my forever boat. I had a LE-21 prior and I love Legends.

8. Member
    Could have been ordered with a smaller tank.Legends are already stearn heavy.My 199 shows standard tank as a 42 gallon.Mine has a 34 gallon and was ordered by first owner that way.