Thread: Downsizing???

Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar

Downsizing???

That's how I explain it and I'm sticking too it. After 9 years in a Hobie PA-14 and advancing age with a bad back I have "downsized" from the "beast of a kayak" to its little brother the PA-12. Not really a huge change but I loved my PA-14 and after looking at several other brands and options I just could not step completely away from the Pro Angler series of kayak. They are (IMO & many others) the best fishing kayay money can buy - and yes it takes more money than other brands. Three of my must have features of the PA's are the seat, I mentioned my back, and the Vantage seat is the best. When I began kayaking I grew to loath having my rods sticking up behind me, the PA's have horizontal rod storage solved that problem. Last, but not least, is the Mirage drive, again the best human perpulsion system out there and now I have reverse capability with the 180 drive.

In addition, I'm introducing my wife to the enjoyment of kayaking - is this a mistake? I bought her a Hobie Compass 12, not a big and flashly fishing kayak but something to get her outside and a bit of recreation. I told her she can carry our lunch and beverages as I have no room on mine for anything but fishing tackle.

And finally, with two kayaks, one being pretty heavy, I needed a new trailer. Not one I put together from a couple kits from Harbor Freight but a geniune aluminium kayak trailer. It is so much lighter I can easily move it around by hand when I cut my grass.

So after writing this post the realization has hit me - "downsizing" my kayak operation isn't the proper description. But it should keep me happily enjoying fishing and being on the water.
    Last edited by bassboogieman; 06-30-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Glad to see you're not giving up the kayak, just downsizing. Are you selling your PA-14? Great kayak, and one I would love to own, but just couldn't justify the cost since I'm only using it a few weeks a year; in comparison to my boat which is being used nearly every single weekend year-round. I have the Pelican Catch Hydryve, which has Hobie's first gen fins, and fits into my truck bed easily.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

3. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
    Are you selling your PA-14?
    Yes it has sold. I didn't have any trouble selling either PA-14 I've owned. Around here used Hobies (especially Outback & PA) are in high demand because, basically as you said, they are expensive if bought new.

I really want to test out that new 360 drive. Heard great things and have watched the videos but never seen one in person.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

I'm starting to have similar 'downsizing' thoughts. We took our first family kayak camping trip last weekend and my wife really needs an upgrade from my 20 year old original sit on top. I feel like she would be good in my Slayer 13 and I should get into the Slayer Max 12.5 since I go out more often and would also like horizontal rod storage.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2