Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front Carbon Loses Contours On Chart...

...and the screen just turns blue. Also not sharing most recently added waypoints (receiving) from console unit. Intermittent throughout the day, but did it all afternoon, today. Stopped giving contour lines altogether.

I have a LSS 1 transducer and module, and a 12" Carbon at both the console and bow. The console unit works perfectly. Bow unit always works fine at start up of the day, then acts up as the day goes on. I just split chart and sonar up front. Today...at the end of the day...neither the side scan nor the down scan would work on the console unit (the unit that has always worked perfectly). Maybe a clue about what is going on???

I have a new 3D-SS module and transducer I am going to install this weekend. Will this fix the glitches?

But, my main question is...What do you guys think is causing the problem with the bow unit not sharing chart info from the console unit?

2. Member
    Ethernet Cable Get a new one and run it accross the deck to test before installing permantly.

3. Member
    Make sure share waypoints, allow duplicate waypoint names, and full detail on charts are selected.

4. Member
    Agree to all above. New Ethernet cables and get the 3D installed. Your units are in Legacy mode and could be contributing to the issues. The old module is forcing Legacy mode.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

5. Member
    Thanks guys, and thanks NoCAL. I've never heard of Legacy mode. Do you have a minute to explain it?

Is there some way in the settings I can...or will have to...get out of it after I do the new installation?

6. Member
    Legacy mode downgrades the performance of Gen3 units and above when older units are on the network. The most important and obvious downgrade is the reduction of 2D sonar inputs from 2 to 1. So Channel 1 is available but Channel 2 is not. Meaning in Legacy Mode you can’t run an AI 3in1 transducer. There are other issues but that is the most significant. You cannot avoid it in anyway if you have a mixture of old and new units on the same network. If you get rid of the StructureScan module it will go away automatically
    NoCAL
    2B112175

7. Member
    Thanks for taking the time to help me NoCal.

Ps...new Ethernet cables are black, not grey like the older ones. I should be able to get back in a couple days to give a garage report...And a couple days after that with an on the water report.

8. Member
    Garage report says everything is working fine. But, no water temp ant either unit...front or back. They both gave temp last time on the water, before changing module, transducer, and cables. I assumed the settings would not change for the front Carbon, that used the built in transducer in the Ultrex.

Will I have to go into the settings for the console unit, and select the new 3D-SS transducer...or will it automatically do that? At power up, the unit's screens both said that they recognize the new 3D-SS.

9. Member
    When you go to the Structure page, it may say No Source or This Unit and have a blank screen. You have to change the source to Structure3D. It's under the menu on the page. The units are just recognizing that they are out of Legacy mode and that they see the new module.
    For Temp, on each unit:
    Pages, Settings, Network, Data Sources--Open the Sonar tab, tap Temp and select This Unit. When units are correctly networked, they will always wait for you to designate the source of data. It's a feature but sometimes can be seen as a hinderance for those who want the units to do everything automatically, lol!

NoCAL
    2B112175

10. Member
    Thanks NoCal. When I go to pages--network--data sources-sonar--and open the sonar tab, I get the option for water temp(local) on the front unit. And it gives me my temp.

On the console unit....when I go to pages--settings--network--data sources--and open the sonar tab, temp does not show up. I tried it 10 times...both with both units on, and with the bow unit off. The temp drop down doesn't appear. I think there is a way to add it...but I can't remember how.

After I've gotten to:Data Source...that has GPS, Sonar, and Time...I touch Sonar, and the only 2 options on the drop down are: Depth (local), and Aft Depth (local). The Temp is not there. I need to get the temp option back there, where you can switch from global to local.

11. Member
    If there is no temp option, you don’t have a transducer with temp connected to the unit. The Structure 3D should have temp so you could try to add it that way. Or you can use the front, it it will only be available when the front is on and in the water. Do you have a NMEA network? If not I take back what I said. Temp can only be shared over NMEA.
    2B112175

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawg whacker View Post
    Thanks NoCal. When I go to pages--network--data sources-sonar--and open the sonar tab, I get the option for water temp(local) on the front unit. And it gives me my temp.

On the console unit....when I go to pages--settings--network--data sources--and open the sonar tab, temp does not show up. I tried it 10 times...both with both units on, and with the bow unit off. The temp drop down doesn't appear. I think there is a way to add it...but I can't remember how.

After I've gotten to:Data Source...that has GPS, Sonar, and Time...I touch Sonar, and the only 2 options on the drop down are: Depth (local), and Aft Depth (local). The Temp is not there. I need to get the temp option back there, where you can switch from global to local.
    You don't say if you got a sonar source, Did you open Depth Local? under that will be your sonar sources if all your units are turned on, I don't think you will see a temp source untill you pick a sonar source since 99% of all temp sources are in Transducers. I don't understand why this happens but many people can't seem to open up all the sources The source page is just like a files and folder page on a computer keep opening them untill you see the actual source with check boxes in front of them.

13. Member
    I DO have a NMEA network.

Basshopper--I did not open the Depth (local). I will turn on both units, and go back and check it out. Hopefully, that will help.

I know there is a way to add the temp, because I had to go thru all that last year when I upgraded to Carbons. Just can't seem to remember how I got there. And, I'm assuming the 3D-SS transducer has the temp sensor in [it].

You guys are great!!! I can't tell you how much the help means.

+++When I open up Depth, the correct unit (console carbon) is checked and selected. If I turn both units on and select Global for Sonar on both units, I got temp to come on. As soon as I separated the units to local, I lose my temp drop down on console unit. Such an easy thing, giving me trouble.
    Last edited by hawg whacker; 07-01-2022 at 10:33 PM.

14. Member
    ...and the screen just turns blue. Also not sharing most recently added waypoints (receiving) from console unit. Intermittent throughout the day, but did it all afternoon, today. Stopped giving contour lines altogether.

I have a LSS 1 transducer and module, and a 12" Carbon at both the console and bow. The console unit works perfectly. Bow unit always works fine at start up of the day, then acts up as the day goes on. I just split chart and sonar up front. Today...at the end of the day...neither the side scan nor the down scan would work on the console unit (the unit that has always worked perfectly). Maybe a clue about what is going on???

I have a new 3D-SS module and transducer I am going to install this weekend. Will this fix the glitches?

But, my main question is...What do you guys think is causing the problem with the bow unit not sharing chart info from the console unit?
    Sounds like the problem I chased for a year. The Grey Ethernet cables absolutely suck, they are solid core and prone to intermittent connections. The Black cords are great as they are stranded and much less susceptible to errors.

15. Member
    Quick set up question...coming out of the new 3D-SS module, I have a 15' ethernet cable going to the console unit. I then have the 25' ethernet cable coming out of another ethernet port on the module, and running to the bow unit. (this is the original set up...I just replaced the module and cables...and installed the same way, in the same place).

Is this the correct way vs cable from module to console unit...then second cable from console unit to bow unit?

16. Member
    That is correct. Module must be on to share anything over the network. Either way will work but most people run both cables off the module. It acts like a hub. So you have both Ethernet and NMEA? You should see every source available on the NMEA in the Data Sources menu. Even if you select Local, you should still see all the choices. Local just means the unit is forced to use your choice and can’t find another source on the network if the chosen one isn’t available

NoCAL
    2B112175

17. Member
    I DO have a NMEA network.

Basshopper--I did not open the Depth (local). I will turn on both units, and go back and check it out. Hopefully, that will help.

I know there is a way to add the temp, because I had to go thru all that last year when I upgraded to Carbons. Just can't seem to remember how I got there. And, I'm assuming the 3D-SS transducer has the temp sensor in [it].

You guys are great!!! I can't tell you how much the help means.

+++When I open up Depth, the correct unit (console carbon) is checked and selected. If I turn both units on and select Global for Sonar on both units, I got temp to come on. As soon as I separated the units to local, I lose my temp drop down on console unit. Such an easy thing, giving me trouble.
    Set Temp to Local then select the temp source for ea unit even if you are sharing one temp on both units.

18. Member
    When picking thru the sources, does channel 1 and channel 2 come into play? For instance...would channel 1 be my 2D Sonar glassed in 'ducer...and could/should I name channel 2 the 3D-SS 'ducer? And...if so, how do I name the 3D-SS transducer "channel 2"?

19. Member
    Channel 2 is your second 2D input. If you only have a single 2D source, that is not a 3in1, you don’t need Channel 2. If you have a 3in1, the 2D signal comes through the Structure port which also serves as Channel 2 and it must be turned on to provide 2D. This is why Legacy mode is important. In Legacy mode, there is no Channel 2 so you can’t use a 3in1.

NoCAL
    2B112175

20. Member
    Thank you for explaining that. I always wondered what Channel 2 was for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast