Thread: 1222 vs 1022

1222 vs 1022

Was on the lake crappie fishing this weekend with my brother and doing a lot of scoping. I have a 1222 and a 1022 on front networked together. I was watching the 1022 screen and he was watching the 1222. The 10222 seemed munched brighter and clear than the 1222 so I got to paying with settings and with everything the same the 10 was much brighter and clearer than the 12. Anybody else have the same results ?

Voltage drop can effect picture. If the wire is not the correct size for the length of the run it can effect voltage. Also is both units hooked to the same battery? If they are on different batteries one battery could be weak.

3. Member
    My first thought would be to double check ALL the settings. Even better, reset both units to factory defaults. Individually, there are lots of settings to have to manually check. I say this because of mistakes I have made in making comparisons. I would be certain that I had matched all the settings only later to discover I missed one. Even resetting defaults doesn't guarantee they will be the same. Some of the settings reset to Auto. To be certain, you have to make a list of everything to check, then check it on each unit, changing any that are on Auto to Manual and recording the setting to match it on the other unit. First to check would be the brightness under the power button and also that the color scheme is set to Daytime colors on both units. Of course gain and color gain are biggies. Once you've done all that and still see the difference you indicated, you've made a strong case. If you wanted to get real serious with Garmin on it, you could use ActiveCaptain and video record each unit. For all of this I am referring to the brightness aspect you mentioned. For the clear part, it's not that unusual for detail to look better on a smaller screen. The bigger screen makes everything bigger and that includes noise and clutter. That's not a Garmin thing. I've seen it on other brands as well.

Voltage is not a likely explanation unless you are getting voltage warning messages. The system is designed to handle a fairly wide variation in voltage.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Voltage drop can effect picture. If the wire is not the correct size for the length of the run it can effect voltage. Also is both units hooked to the same battery? If they are on different batteries one battery could be weak.
    This is a myth

Angle you look at the screen has a big difference in appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    This is a myth
    Thanks for the info that incorrect size wire can not effect voltage drop and picture clarity.