Thread: New to Garmin

New to Garmin

Looking at making the switch to Garmin. Only Garmin have run is a dedicated GPSmap for livescope.
    If I am looking to run a 12" & (2) 10", one being for livescope. What's the advantages/disadvantages to running the GPSmap non-touch screens vs ECHOmap Ultras? Other than touch screen with ECHOmap.
    What's needed for linking?
    Is the steady cast heading sensor worth the extra cost?

First GPSMAP and Echomap do not network with each other

Echomaps only network with other echomaps

other than the touch screen GPSMAP has more features

Steady cast is nice and in my opinion worth it
    Last edited by MichAngler; 06-22-2022 at 07:55 PM.
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    If you have one unit dedicated to livescope is not worth it to spend extra money for touch screen in my opinion. You won't be touching it that much for adjustment and every time you do you put a smudge on the screen. During a 10-hour day of fishing I may touch mine 5 times

4. Member
    SmartMode and ActiveCaptain Helm are features only on the GPSMAP that I use frequently. SmartMode, every trip. Helm less frequently but critical when I use it. It takes some setup time and a bit of a learning curve for SmartMode but it provides a way to set up a screen for a specific purpose, name it so you know what it's for, and save all of the specific settings with the name. I use different settings and specific transducers for Searching and Fishing. I also fish a wide range of depths, sometimes down to 150 ft. I really like being able just to select the Smartmode panel for where I'm at and what I'm doing and not have to mess with any settings.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.