Old Hickory in fall?

Hey guys, our small club in Missouri is changing our year end tourney from Sam Rayburn to a closer lake because of gas prices. We are considering several lakes, including Old Hickory. How is the fishing in late October. We have been to all the Tennessee River lakes and looking at another body of water. Thanks much.

2. Moderator
    I am no tournament guy so keep this in mind but I live 20 minutes from OH. No way I would drive all the way from Missouri to fish OH. However if you do the fall is probably the best time I have found for fishing.

3. Member
    +1
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Member
    +2

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    I am no tournament guy so keep this in mind but I live 20 minutes from OH. No way I would drive all the way from Missouri to fish OH. However if you do the fall is probably the best time I have found for fishing.
    This.

OH is ok for a local lake. It gets hammered with local tourneys and is overrun with Carp. - The entire Cumberland River - all the way - pretty much to Dale Hollow is overrun with carp. OH is not a destination lake - unless you are coming to Nashville anyway.

Percy Priest is an odd lake, and dangerous without good maps, but it is prettier scenery (cause catching big numbers won't be the draw) if the DW wants to be in Nashville while you fish.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

I live 20 minutes from the lake an would love to have someplace to go other than OH. If you watch fishing on TX lakes, I sure wish TN would pick a lake and develop it into a real Bass trophy lake like TX does. OH needs a regulation on tournaments, gets beat to death everyday and night.
    Last edited by PT180; 06-28-2022 at 11:43 AM.
    I have had most of them, some are just better than others.

7. Member
    I live near OH and fish it often (unfortunately).

If it's a 1 day tournament, the winning bag may be around 15lbs.

I agree with others - it's not a destination lake.

8. Member
    boat friendly motel that's around flippers?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by APS View Post
    boat friendly motel that's around flippers?
    I can’t comment on the hotel - but just so you’re aware, Flippers is closed. The ramp is still open, but the tackle store is closed.
    2023 Puma STS

10. Member
    Never fished Old Hickory but did really well on Percy Priest, I actually did far better there than at Dale Hollow.

There are several hotels in Gallatin close to Flippers but none are very boat friendly.
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude

12. Member
    I grew up in TN, just moved from TX to MO. There is zero chance I’d drive to Nashville to fish OH.

If you guys want to fish an awesome lake and one that will be memorable. Try Caddo. It sits between TX and LA. The only natural lake in TX and can produce giant sacks. It also doesn’t get hammered like Rayburn. 20+ lbs will win it

13. Member
    Old Hickory in the fall can be extremely tough. I wouldnt drive from Missouri to fish it

14. Member
    I live just south of Knoxville and rather enjoy my trips to Old Hickory. The bite can be very fickle sometimes but 15lbs as mentioned is a good day. We always stay at Cedar Valley Inn in Lebanon. Very friendly, clean and if you have a group they will put you on the back side so boat parking in front of the room is convenient. You will need to run chargers from inside the room but we have done it many times. Right next to Wal=Mart and Cracker Barrell, and Logans Steak House is a 4 minute drive and EXCELLENT. Easy access to Flippers and Shutes Branch launches. Good luck where ever you choose!