Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    I read a study that was done on running ev's in winter weather with heater running it cuts your miles 41%, they don't tell you all this when you go to buy one
    Wasn’t near that much reduction in my Tesla model S.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

2. Member
    Research conducted by the AAA found that when the mercury dips to 20°F and the heater is in use, an average EV’s range drops by 41 percent. That means a model that’s rated to run for 100 miles on a charge in combined city/highway driving would only be able to manage 59 miles.
    The AAA tested five different models having a range of at least 100 miles, the 2018 BMW i3, Chevrolet Bolt EV and Nissan Leaf, and the 2017 Tesla Model S 75D and Volkswagen e-Golf

https://www.myev.com/research/buyers...switched%20off.

3. Member
    A co-worker has one it's pretty cool. Has the quad motors around 600 + HP, crazy 0-60 times. Has a lot of cool features to it.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Research conducted by the AAA found that when the mercury dips to 20°F and the heater is in use, an average EV’s range drops by 41 percent. That means a model that’s rated to run for 100 miles on a charge in combined city/highway driving would only be able to manage 59 miles.
    The AAA tested five different models having a range of at least 100 miles, the 2018 BMW i3, Chevrolet Bolt EV and Nissan Leaf, and the 2017 Tesla Model S 75D and Volkswagen e-Golf

https://www.myev.com/research/buyers...switched%20off.
    There is no doubt that cold weather will reduce range, it certainly does no mine. But I sure see a lot of EV’s when I am in Ontario.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    No doubt the colder it gets the less range you get. But obviously many things play a role in just how much reduction there is. I haven't driven mine yet in cold weather, but I figure since EVs are so popular in Norway, Sweden and Finland then I should be fine.

I think the cold weather range reduction is well known to EV buyers. However, I don't think many appreciate the other range reduction causes. A headwind vs a tail wind is a big one. As well as elevation changing. When we drive to the farm we see our range get reduced much more than when we are returning home. The trip is about 25 miles one way, we use about 30 miles of range to get there but 26 on the way back. We just did a little longer trip that was 40 miles one way, alot of hills. I watched the energy usage per mile. On the way back, the energy used per mile was nearly half coming home compared to going to the destination. On that trip there was clearly a head wind vs tail wind as well as elevation changing.

I may have to be mindful of these issues on longer trips, but, my car is always charging when parked at home. I don't miss the gas station.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Member
    One of my neighbors has a Rivian that he has been towing a pretty large ski boat with this summer. It's almost comical to see that little truck pulling that large boat. This past weekend I saw the Rivian on the back of a flat bed being towed towards home and a full size GMC pickup towing the boat following them. Not sure if it ran out of juice or if there was another issue, but I wondered where in the world he was going to get it fixed since we live in the middle of nowhere.
    2009 Tracker Pro 170 TX - Mercury 40 HP EFI

7. Member
    I'm really curious if the crowd that says "EV's aren't for me!" would have stuck with their horse and buggy in 1900, saying that a gas engine just wasn't for them!?
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duracraftman View Post
    I'm really curious if the crowd that says "EV's aren't for me!" would have stuck with their horse and buggy in 1900, saying that a gas engine just wasn't for them!?
    Yes, they not only would, they did it. They're called Amish.
    We have a very large community here. Embracing bicycles.

9. Member
    Seen one in person finally. Was bigger than I expect. Pretty cool looking.

Out of my price range and too many unknowns.

10. Banned
    id love to go back to horses

Seriously? Terrible comparison!! Think about for just one second, what can an ev do that my current ice vehicle can't?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Seriously? Terrible comparison!! Think about for just one second, what can an ev do that my current ice vehicle can't?
    Run all night in your garage and still be running when you wake up. Any other questions?

I’m sure that’s the horse and buggy crowd said back in the day too.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Run all night in your garage and still be running when you wake up. Any other questions?
    Okay, I'll bite...... why on Earth would anyone do that? What is the practical application?
    2014 920/SHO

15. Member
    Pretty much every vehicle out there can easily idle all day on a full tank, then fill up and go.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

16. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txbass1 View Post
    Okay, I'll bite...... why on Earth would anyone do that? What is the practical application?

Entire families have been killed by accidently leaving their car running in a garage. Happens by the hundreds every year.
    Thanos was the hero

17. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar

cost less than $10 to fill up, leave home every morning with a full charge, drive itself
    Thanos was the hero

18. Member
    Happens by the hundreds every year.
    Since 2005, 37 people have died by unknowingly leaving their vehicles running in their attached garage, according to data from Safety Research & Strategies Inc., which specializes in car safety.
    Now, this is only up to 2019. Maybe there has been a huge outbreak of darwin award winners that I am unaware of. If not dying from carbon monoxide poison is what you have to hang your hat on then you are losing the argument.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...de/1419233001/

19. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    https://consumer.healthday.com/publi...er-740344.html

More than 400 people die in the United States each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
    Many of those deaths are vehicle-related. They can occur when cars are left running inside a garage or if the tailpipe becomes clogged by snow, ice or debris. Mechanical problems can also cause CO to leak into the cabin of a car.

I'm not arguing anything. I don't care if people spend all their money on gas
    Thanos was the hero

Entire families have been killed by accidently leaving their car running in a garage. Happens by the hundreds every year.
    Since 2005, 37 people have died by unknowingly leaving their vehicles running in their attached garage, according to data from Safety Research & Strategies Inc., which specializes in car safety.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast