Echomap 73sv and UHD 93sv won't share waypoints

After connecting an older, non-touch screen echomap 73sv and a new touchscreen 93SV UHD, they will not share waypoints. They were connected by connecting the blue wire from one to the green of the other as per Garmin's instructions and data sharing was enabled on both units. The units function fine independently. Anyone have any insight on how to fix this?

Thanks

2. Member
    I don't think you can fix it. The 73sv shares via blue/green wires. The UHD 93sv only shares via ethernet. I think your only option is to pick one unit for making new waypoints. Copy to a card and then read from the card into the other.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

That can't be right - Garmin told me the following:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for the email, you can share user data by using NMEA 0183 and connecting them thru the wires there. It will not share sonar or charts just user data.

Thank you for choosing Garmin,
    Rick
    Product Support
    Garmin International

4. Member
    I hope Rick is correct but I don't think so. For some time now, ever since Garmin started sharing waypoints via ethernet, users have been on this board with this problem. There are even some statements in the manuals that seem to say it will work. People have copied and pasted that language here. I think the way the debate ended was that on the units with ethernet, the software only shares waypoints over ethernet. Technically, if Garmin included the programming in these later units that is in the earlier units, then the waypoints could be shared over the brown/blue wires. The problem is that programming is not in the new units unless they recently decided to add it. Last thing I saw from Todd on this is that it wouldn't work. I think that is still the case and not likely to change. NMEA is capable of sharing waypoints, but the software to make it happen has to be included on the unit.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Leonard has it right. The nonCHIRP and CHIRP Echomaps do share via High Speed Protocol (blue and brown wires) but all the newer ethernet-capable Echomaps (Plus, UHD, Ultra) only share via ethernet. User data will not share between that older 73sv and the UHD unit.
    Garmin Pro Team

Well that's really disappointing. The whole reason I bought the 73sv was to share waypoints based on what I was originally told by Garmin.

Thanks for your help guys.

Curious, do the Plus and UHD even have the blue and brown wires in the harness?

My 73 isn't even a plus and it has the wires. The UHD 93 does as well.

You can try but 99.9% it won't work. Guess you can try it. Brown wire to blue and blue to brown I believe. Waypoint sharing only.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    Curious, do the Plus and UHD even have the blue and brown wires in the harness?
    93SV UHD does. Like OP, I tried to network my original 73SV with a UHD.. no bueno.

The newer ethernet-capable Echomaps (Plus, UHD, Ultra) still maintain the blue and brown wires to connect NMEA 0183 devices. They are not for data sharing.
    Garmin Pro Team

Someone should tell Rick from Product Support.