No tell tale on opti?

I just got a 99 opti, and it works great, good tell tale in the water, but not on muffs. Anyone know if this is normal or not?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not normal, though you've not really provided engine engine info to work from to be of a lot of assistance.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not normal, though you've not really provided engine engine info to work from to be of a lot of assistance.
    Thanks, what additional info should I include? I failed to mention it's a 200 opti, but I'll probably get it checked by my local mercury shop. Due to me not being very good with outboards mechanically.

4. Member
    Engine serial number will properly ID the engine since Mercury does not use years.

The telltale from your Optimax is the compressor cooling outlet only and a critical indicator the compressor is receiving coolant flow. If the telltale is present when on the water, it might be fine. If you don't know when the water pump was last serviced, it might be wise to replace it, ensure the compressor strainer is clean, and check annual service items are current.

There's a very helpful FAQ at the top of the 3L (what your engine is) forum with several great topics for maintaining your Optimax, here are a few of the most important ones (there are several more)...

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Compressor STRAINER Cleaning

Proper Warmup and Cold Water Operation
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Engine serial number will properly ID the engine since Mercury does not use years.

The telltale from your Optimax is the compressor cooling outlet only and a critical indicator the compressor is receiving coolant flow. If the telltale is present when on the water, it might be fine. If you don't know when the water pump was last serviced, it might be wise to replace it, ensure the compressor strainer is clean, and check annual service items are current.

There's a very helpful FAQ at the top of the 3L (what your engine is) forum with several great topics for maintaining your Optimax, here are a few of the most important ones (there are several more)...

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Compressor STRAINER Cleaning

Proper Warmup and Cold Water Operation
    Thanks

6. Member
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax