Engaging Spotlock related to foot pedal position.

When you engage spotlock should the foot pedal be level with the head unit pointing straight ahead? Or it doesn't matter the position of the head unit or foot pedal when you use spotlock? Reason for the question, sometimes when I have spotlock engage the GPS will find the coordinates the head unit will spin and the toe of the foot pedal goes all the way down and disengage spotlock. My batteries are only two years old. new foot sensor board, has been indexed twice.

2. Member
    It matters on an Ultrex. You can't have an extreme angle when you engage Spotlock. It usually spins the motor head around to point forward and then disengages Spotlock. It works much better when the motor is pointing forward. I haven't found that to be an issue with the Ghost but I definitely found it with an Ultrex.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    It matters on an Ultrex. You can't have an extreme angle when you engage Spotlock. It usually spins the motor head around to point forward and then disengages Spotlock. It works much better when the motor is pointing forward. I haven't found that to be an issue with the Ghost but I definitely found it with an Ultrex.

NoCAL

Awesome! Thank you!

4. Member
    NoCal is spot on. Also forward motion will also affect spot lock. The closer to dead stop the boat is the more likely it will get you on your spot without disengaging it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    NoCal is spot on. Also forward motion will also affect spot lock. The closer to dead stop the boat is the more likely it will get you on your spot without disengaging it.
    I didn't know that. Hmmmmm may be the root cause of my issues!

Thanks

I have never noticed this to be an issue

But then again I have never used the pedal I have only used the remote

I'm never looking at the motors orientation when I hit the spotlock button more focused on my fishing

I do know that I try to avoid hitting hit when I'm moving at a fast clip knowing the motor is going to try and toss me out of the boat to get back to the position
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Member
    I have never had this issue. I hit spot lock in a forward motion all the time. No issue.

It also doesn't make sense why a forward facing orientation would make a difference. When my head goes around in a full circle it realizes it and turns back the opposite way. The only time I lose spot lock is when something else gets in the way of the pedal or some sort of wire snag with the head.

8. Member
    I’ve never noticed it make any difference which way the pedal is positioned.

Mine SL has never kicked out, I can hit SL with forwards motion at it will adjust to get you on the GPS coordinates where SL was hit.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

10. Member
    Well you guys are lucky. I’m just completed four trips over the past six weeks of up to 5 days at a time using both Ghost and Ultrex on two different boats. The Ultrex disengaged enough times for me to get a bit frustrated. The boat owner specifically had noticed and knew the solution. His exact words, “if the motor has to spin completely around it will disengage Spotlock”’ happened everytime I didn’t take the time to move the pedal to a neutral forward facing position.

As for stopping before hitting Anchor, they all will violently try to return to the spot you were on the instant the Anchor button was pressed. Nothing wrong with that, it means the motor is trying to be as accurate as possible and remain on the spot it thinks you wanted to anchor on.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Well you guys are lucky. I’m just completed four trips over the past six weeks of up to 5 days at a time using both Ghost and Ultrex on two different boats. The Ultrex disengaged enough times for me to get a bit frustrated. The boat owner specifically had noticed and knew the solution. His exact words, “if the motor has to spin completely around it will disengage Spotlock”’ happened everytime I didn’t take the time to move the pedal to a neutral forward facing position.

As for stopping before hitting Anchor, they all will violently try to return to the spot you were on the instant the Anchor button was pressed. Nothing wrong with that, it means the motor is trying to be as accurate as possible and remain on the spot it thinks you wanted to anchor on.

NoCAL
    That is odd.

1. It makes me think depending on the year (or some other factor) the Ultrex could have different firmware?

2. Somehow the indexing got off.

3. Something is interfering with Spot Lock, a wire, and piece of plastic worm under the foot pedal, etc.

12. Member
    If you hit spotlock moving 3 MPH you are going to get a hard turn and full speed. Getting thrown overboard is a possibility. If you have wires running down the shaft improperly tied to the shaft
    With less slack than you need or tied too loosely and can snag on something it will stop the motor and knock it out of Spot lock. These stoppages might be messing up your indexing adjustment. Without realigning your pedal you have a problem of the motor being knocked out of spotlock from that. People notice or they don’t. The motors work properly with proper use and a little maintanance. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    If your Ultrex kicks out or spotlock every time the motor has to turn all the way around, your trolling motor pedal is not indexed properly or there is something else binding/catching in the foot pedal or around the head. That’s not normal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    If your Ultrex kicks out or spotlock every time the motor has to turn all the way around, your trolling motor pedal is not indexed properly or there is something else binding/catching in the foot pedal or around the head. That’s not normal behavior.
    Don't recall mine ever kicking out in 4 years.

15. Member
    This thread confirms I made the right decision on the Garmin Force. It's not perfect and has some quirks, but the foot pedal position has no bearing on spotlock and when you want to re-engage, just touch the foot pedal and the head will automatically spin to the foot controller position.

16. Member
    Good to hear a positive report on the force! It is not a cable steer motor so there is no cable hookup to the pedal. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go