Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nitro trailer recall

Just got a letter for bad trailer bearings in 2020, 2021, 2022 Nitro Trailers. Both single and dual axle trailers. You have to go to Service Center for repairs or replacement.
    Not sure what it is about yet. I have to take my back. I'm thinking is the Nut and Pin maybe ? Only thing I can think of.
    Anyone know anything more on it ????
    Thanks Jim

I think they did not tighten these properly, I replaced a bearing set which I think was good, the nut either backed off or was not tightened at the factory.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Just got off the phone with my dealer after getting the letter yesterday. It sounds like it wasn’t torqued properly from the factory. My boat has been there for a month now… waiting on some glass work that was damaged from shipping. ��

4. Member
    Does anyone here have experience checking tightness on that nut? My trailer has done thousands of miles (I think 5 california trips) and haven't had any issues yet, but curious on how tough it would be to check.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

With the trailer cold, (not just pulled)Jack up the tire, with the rim on, grab left and right of the tire, pull and push each way. You want to feel it move but not an amount you can measure.

same for trucks and cars but then you have to grab top and bottom, but on a trailer without steering it doesn't matter and less chance to hurt fingers with left and right.

If you find them measurably loose, open the cap, take the cotter key out, hand tighten the castle nut,, spin the wheel, install cotter key, re check for some wiggle. Not measurable amounts. This slight wiggle allows for the bearings to expand. If over tight they may lock up. You can add some approved grease "Lucas marine" and wipe out excess

vortex^^^
    Last edited by Fishysam; 06-23-2022 at 10:11 AM.

6. Member
    this describes the procedure for properly loading the bearings which apparently was not done correctly.
    https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/f2b8dbe2-f4e1-44f5-afd4-7a1c47d9ebcf/downloads/2019-04_059-z01-32_vortex-system-instruction-s.pdf?ver=1635255846944

And here are the recall details I posted in another thread.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V343-2276.PDF

I checked my hubs on my 2022 z20 and they are very loose. Going in to dealer next week but I will tighten myself before I go since it’s an hour drive to get there

7. Member
    what hubs do we have the BOSS or Vortex. ??

I think there is a mix of these on trailers. At least on 2021s
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    With the trailer cold, (not just pulled)Jack up the tire, with the rim on, grab left and right of the tire, pull and push each way. You want to feel it move but not an amount you can measure.

same for trucks and cars but then you have to grab top and bottom, but on a trailer without steering it doesn't matter and less chance to hurt fingers with left and right.

If you find them measurably loose, open the cap, take the cotter key out, hand tighten the castle nut,, spin the wheel, install cotter key, re check for some wiggle. Not measurable amounts. This slight wiggle allows for the bearings to expand. If over tight they may lock up. You can add some approved grease "Lucas marine" and wipe out excess

vortex^^^
    Thanks for the post. I've removed my wheels before to bleed brakes and get new tires, I'll have to double check them before I head out on a trip. Haven't had issues yet and I've got thousands on miles on the trailer, but certainly won't hurt to double check. Thanks!

Hating this. Got my letter but have a tournament on Saturday. Closest fix is 1.5 hours from me. Very I convenie t.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dchance View Post
    Hating this. Got my letter but have a tournament on Saturday. Closest fix is 1.5 hours from me. Very I convenie t.
    Do you have one of the ramps you drive on to Jack up the other axle? If so I can’t imagine it taking much longer than 10-15 minutes to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    Thanks for the post. I've removed my wheels before to bleed brakes and get new tires, I'll have to double check them before I head out on a trip. Haven't had issues yet and I've got thousands on miles on the trailer, but certainly won't hurt to double check. Thanks!
    You don't remove the wheels, you have to grab them to wiggle. Haha so it's even easier, for what it's worth my 2015 no recall trailer was sloppy loose by 40k, I tightened them up and swapped the lube and they are still perfect at 85k or so. It's not complicated you will have no issue unless something is already broken. Then I'd rather know in the garage than on the highway

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    You don't remove the wheels, you have to grab them to wiggle. Haha so it's even easier, for what it's worth my 2015 no recall trailer was sloppy loose by 40k, I tightened them up and swapped the lube and they are still perfect at 85k or so. It's not complicated you will have no issue unless something is already broken. Then I'd rather know in the garage than on the highway
    I know, just saying I’ve messed with my wheels quite a bit already and likely would’ve noticed if it was super loose.

14. Member
    I got my trailer back. drop off yesturday and picked up today. Ducketts Marine said no problems with all 4 hubs. They are at 50 Lb torg. They had about 15 boats so far and nothing was loss on them. Like someone said its better to be safe then sorry.
    Wear is the grease fitting on the Z21 XL ? I looked around the back of the wheel but can find it. I like to know if I ever wanted to check the grease. Thanks

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy50999 View Post
    I got my trailer back. drop off yesturday and picked up today. Ducketts Marine said no problems with all 4 hubs. They are at 50 Lb torg. They had about 15 boats so far and nothing was loss on them. Like someone said its better to be safe then sorry.
    Wear is the grease fitting on the Z21 XL ? I looked around the back of the wheel but can find it. I like to know if I ever wanted to check the grease. Thanks
    If they are vortex hubs, there should be a zerc on the end of the spindle, just remove the dust cap to get to it. There is also one at the back, you can use either one. Just did it on my 2022 after tightening the hubs, 3 of 4 were very loose. I would say at least 2 full turns from 50 ft lbs of torque. see the link in post # 6 above for a diagram. Still taking it in to the dealer next week to get recall cleared.

16. Member
    Make sure you don't over tighten these plastic caps after doing this inspection. They can be tightened too much and crack around the plastic lip and the threads. The cap will pop off the you'll have a good time trying to unscrew the threads after they are sheared off in the hub.

17. Member
    I literally just got my boat back last week, after being in the shop for this exact issue. Blew a hub on the way home from the lake in march. Been waiting on parts since. Would've been avoided easily. Had the boat for 9 months before the problem surfaced. All 3 others were loose and had play but luckily the bearings were good.

18. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Here’s a link to a Youtube video showing the procedure. This example is for a Ranger aluminum, but the procedure should be about the same:

John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

They are at 50 Lb torg
    I don't believe this is correct, my dealer informed me they are simply to be hand tightened and then the cotter pin is put back in place. Watched him do it in the shop. Also they replaced the plastic caps with new metal ones at no charge. One of my caps broke while it was being removed. You might all mention this if any of your caps have any sign of cracking.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    I don't believe this is correct, my dealer informed me they are simply to be hand tightened and then the cotter pin is put back in place. Watched him do it in the shop. Also they replaced the plastic caps with new metal ones at no charge. One of my caps broke while it was being removed. You might all mention this if any of your caps have any sign of cracking.
    Reading the manual, it looks like when you install new bearing your torque down to 50 lbs to seat the bearings, then loosen and hand tighten them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast