Thread: River Fishing

River Fishing

Wanting to get into some East Coast River Fishing. I have never fished a river, what is the best river and/or Boat Ramp to start off learning to fish for bass in Rivers. Any help is appreciated.

2. Scraps
    From what I saw last week, I'd be headed straight for the James/Chickahominy River. River fishing heaven. Tons of different visible shallow water cover.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

the James and Chick are Tital fisheries and though are AMAZING, you need to understand Tide for success...

Go put in at Plymouth, NC in the Roanoke River...pretty easy to navigate...always some current...loaded with bass...you are only a couple miles from the albermarle sound and from their your options are endless...that fishery is at its peak and has been for a few years....i'd suggest enjoying it before the Hurricanes Ruin it again....
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

4. Banned
    Agree with above post 100%.

5. Member
    Where do you consider East Coast?

6. Member
    Thanks Adam.

I assume you mean Large Mouth Bass and not Stripe Bass.
    There are some good guides that you could get with.
    Lots of Bass tournaments run out Plymouth, New Bern, Jacksonville, Washington, Castle Hayne, Weldon, ...
    One big factor, is understanding the tides.

Where do you want to start looking? East Coast offers a lot of options!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

8. Banned
    Scooter Lilly at 252-799-9536 guides anywhere that can be accessed from the Albemarle sound from Alligator to Chowan, Roanoke and all else in between. Thinking Joseph might be thinking largemouth. Give Scooter a call and spend a day with him and use his knowledge to fish everything “down east”. Pick his brain and you can learn in one day what would take you years to learn. Great guy and outstanding fisherman.

9. Banned
    He has a Facebook page also, CWW Inshore Charters and a website.

I've done a lot in New Bern off the Neuse; where are you planning on starting?
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

11. Member
    Really just wanting to try anything. I have never fished any of the rivers.

Well, several good suggestions were listed. I'll be on the Neuse for the first week of July in my kayak. Biggest thing I've learned from fishing down there is the difference the tides will make on your day on the water. I've never taken my boat out, just my 'yak, so it's not something I've really worried about; but I've seen the ramp show the difference between high and low tides. It pays to be aware of when they come in and go out.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

13. Member
    Chowan and Roanoke would be your easiest to learn, for sure. But be aware that at the mouth of Chowan inward for about 5 miles be aware of floaters and permanent structured hazards in the water. Roanoke, at the mouth FOLLOW markers out to the sound if ya feel comfortable doing that. Once out and if you want to fish the trees or banks, IDLE in and be very aware of your surroundings. Strongly suggest navigation once plenty of daylight is available. Don't do a safelight run until you learn the navigation. I have popped 3 lower units in the Roanoke, all because of underwater floaters. None in the Chowan. Chowan has navigation markers, Roanoke, none. Hope it helps in your decision.
    BassCat Puma
    250 ProXs
    Humminbird Electronic's
    Helix 12 G4
    Solix 12x2 G3
    Mega 360
    Mega Live
    Minn Kota Ultrex MDI
    Relion Batteries
    Dexter Suspension System

10-4 on the floaters. On the Cape Fear, I never run WOT. (I have seen a sheet of plywood floating just below the surface. That would rip your motor off the transom if you are at WOT.)
    One more thing to add to river fishing, you will lose at least 10x hooks and jigs as compared to lake fishing!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    the James and Chick are Tital fisheries and though are AMAZING, you need to understand Tide for success...

Go put in at Plymouth, NC in the Roanoke River...pretty easy to navigate...always some current...loaded with bass...you are only a couple miles from the albermarle sound and from their your options are endless...that fishery is at its peak and has been for a few years....i'd suggest enjoying it before the Hurricanes Ruin it again....
    This - great place to fish and tons of water to explore.

16. Member
    forget the NE cape fear , it is very stingy when it comes to giving up a bite, from the Roanoke , be careful if you decide to cross the sound , it can be ruff trying to get back in the middle of the day ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

17. Member
    Been fishing the Edenton and Plymouth area for over 20+ years. It comes and goes depending on storms that come through. The past few years have had no big storms and when we went in April is was lights out. Until I sprained my ankle the first morning of the tournament. Buddy won it with over 30+ for two days. One over 9, a few over 8 and a 7 pounder didn’t even get noticed