Thread: Idle adjustment

Idle adjustment

After rebuild mey motor idle's to high.
    900 rpm's in gear. Maybe 1100 in neutral. Can someone talk me through lowering it ? Or do I need a 4 hr drive and a $300 dollar bill.
    94 150 pro max EFI.
    can
    Od935509

2. Member
    Idle is normally controlled by timing and is part of the link n sync procedure, which is in the service manual, step by step. You should buy a Mercury OEM service manual from a dealer, will be the best money spent on your motor. But, there could be something Simone can help you with here, but please provide serial number as it’s required here, and it really helps to provide the most accurate info.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Who performed the Sync-n-Link procedure after the rebuild? What is the idle timing set at currently?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Serial number is under my sig. Pic.
    Od935509.
    So looks like I'll be taking it back to shop. Thought maybe was just idle adjust screw.
    Thanks will leave it to the pros.
    can
    Od935509

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    IF the idle timing was set properly, and the remainder of the Sync-n-Link procedure was done properly, idle speed adjustment (in the water, in FWD gear) is the final step.

It is adjusted via a flat-blade stop screw on the UPPER throttle blade shaft, which is hidden between the VST and the intake (long flat-blade required).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    EuropeanAM could you point out this idle adjustment screw on a diagram for a mercury 200 efi serial number OG349873? Thanks for all your help on BBC.
    Last edited by gettnet; 06-26-2022 at 11:51 AM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gettnet View Post
    EuropeanAM could you point out this idle adjustment screw on a diagram for a mercury 200 efi serial number OG349873? Thanks for all your help on BBC.
    Even though your question is related- please stick to the "One engine or poster per thread" policy and start your own thread in the future. Thanks!

I don't have any images on this laptop- might be able to assist you with one after the holiday.

8. Member
    look between inject housing and elct fuel pump bracket just to the right of the second bolt in housing screw has a+cut in it for adjusting with bladed driver
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    IF the idle timing was set properly, and the remainder of the Sync-n-Link procedure was done properly, idle speed adjustment (in the water, in FWD gear) is the final step.

It is adjusted via a flat-blade stop screw on the UPPER throttle blade shaft, which is hidden between the VST and the intake (long flat-blade required).
    Thanks for your help Don.
    I just took it to My Dealership.
    Not comfortable trying to do while boat is in the water running in forward gear. On the trailer wading in the water by myself at the ramp.
    can
    Od935509

10. Member
    Thanks for the info and will remember to start my own thread.

For any future need or reference, here's the "IDLE" screw Don & Joe were referring to:

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Man View Post
    For any future need or reference, here's the "IDLE" screw Don & Joe were referring to:

Thanks Gary
    Picture sure helps.
    Had I have seen this I might have tried it myself.
    can
    Od935509

13. Member
    ^^^^^ thats it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

14. Member
    Well dealer said timing was off. He reset and now is perfect.
    can
    Od935509