MotorGuide Pro Series Won’t Turn

I have a motorguide pro series 75lb 24v trolling motor and it quit working after 30 minutes of use on the water the other day, the prop will not turn at all. Right before total loss of power it worked intermittently for a few moments and then quit working all together. After immediate inspection following loss of power, the motor housing closest to the prop was extremely hot. I got home and tested for power at the bow and after using a meter determined I am In Fact getting power to the motor. I checked the breakers and noticed one had tripped. I reset the breaker and then tested the motor for functionality. I engaged the switch on the foot pedal for a few seconds but the prop did not turn. After a few seconds I heard the breaker trip again and confirmed it in fact did trip. Any recommendations on how to proceed? I am thinking the motor is shot and I’m probably best off purchasing a new one but posting on here for any help that can be offered.

2. Member
    It sounds like you have a short in the motor wiring wither in the head or the motor itself. The fact that the breaker is tripping and the intermittent operation before is the key. The Pro Series parts are available still.

3. Member
    I checked a few things last night and it looks like I am only getting 12.8v at the plug on the bow. I’m thinking I may have a bad connection somewhere or a bad battery. Shouldn’t I be seeing around 24v at the bow plug?

4. Member
    Yes you should see at least that.

You mentioned that "One of the breakers had tripped" leads me to think you have the old 12/24 wiring set up which uses 4 wires to the front. Black/Red from one battery and Orange/White from the other. If you're running a 24v Trolling Motor you should re-wire them using the Red as Positive from Battery 1 to a 50amp breaker, then to the Bow plug and the Black from the Negative of Battery 2 to the Bow plug. You will also need to add a jumper from the Negative of battery 1 to the Positive of battery2. There should be a jumper in the Bow plug or the TM plug that needs to be removed. The Orange and White wires should be removed from the Battery and the plug at the bow. You can just leave them unconnected and not have to remove them from the boat. Next, connect the Red and Black wires to the plug in and the corresponding wires from the TM to the plug to match. You should now read 25.4 at the plug on a full charge.
    Next, try to power up the TM. If it doesn't run, see if you can turn the prop by hand ? If not, you may have had water in the TM and will need to take it in to have is assessed and repaired. Hope this helps
    Last edited by wmitch2; 06-22-2022 at 03:35 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

6. Member
    Where is a good place to purchase wires and connectors? Or at least what gauge wire and connectors do I need?

7. Member
    Update: had a short in the head. Power wires melted together. Not sure how but I got it cleaned up and seems to be working.