Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    I believe that is a puma.

2. Member
    The sticker inside the boat that has capacity and all has model listed as cougar , just never seen one without it on the hull…guess I’m just curious if the hull looks to be in good shape and worst case if it hasn’t been run in two years what I’d be looking at and with that what would a fair estimated price be??

3. Banned
    Honestly, I would be really scared of an opti that has sat for awhile.
    You need to get it cheap, or make your deal contingent upon the engine running properly.

You have no way of knowing if dude was running ethanol fuel,.or why he parked it for so long.

Do your homework and keep in mind, BUYER BEWARE!

4. Member
    Yea I agree that’s why I was asking what a fair deal would be but I think best case would be they get it running right and ale sure it’s all good then recoup whatever they spent in the price… prob could get a good deal on it but doesn’t do me any good if it won’t run and iv wasted money … I know it was run about every weekend before it got garaged

5. Banned
    See if the fuel smells stale. If it doesn't, put some batteries in it and see what happens.
    It may run fine. Doesn't hurt to try if the asking price is fair.

6. Member
    Yea I’ll try that, kind of long distance but would be worth the quick trip I think… I guess with the motor not knowing what fuel was in it I may see if I can somehow find the hours (maybe the smartcraft gauges ?) and start from there.

I guess the other thing I was curious about was the hull, obviously sat for 2 years so needs cleaned but it looks to be in decent shape for an ‘03 to me but I still have never seen one without the badging/model name on the top cap… is that something they did in those years I know there was kind of two cougar models that came out during those years

7. Banned
    Somebody didn't like the stickers and removed them. No biggie.
    Maybe they were scratched up.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcfII View Post
    I believe that is a puma.
    I don't think they made the Puma in 03
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    I am no mechanic, but here are my first thoughts:
    1.Get a really good price on it
    2. Smart gauge would be perfect for determining hours
    3. Assume that it has been sitting for more than 2 years
    4. Have no idea why it wouldn't have the badging/stickers on side, unless he was working on the hull, but if this quote also applies to that hull also. Sounds like a good year model for the hull. "BCB 2003 and prior was the only bass boat with Vinyl Ester starting in 1998, then in varying levels prior and after 2003."
    5. The main reason a boat is up for so long is typically a motor issue, if I had to guess. I've replaced my gas line in the past, so I assume you can pull it loose on the tank/tank selector end and attach to a portable tank to attempt to start? If not, put some fuel stabilizer in, lower unit muffs, a battery, and give it a whirl?
    6. Optimax sitting for a couple of years will need some TLC and money. If it runs, then that shouldn't be too much to do. If it doesn't start, then you can spend some money quickly. compressor issue will be almost $1000 just for the part.
    7. If it runs, then a very detailed look over and under the hull is required. The hull itself in 2003, no wood at that point in Basscat I assume(most have/had a sticker saying that), can last forever if taken care of.
    8. At a glance, with low quality pictures, it doesnt look like it was garage kept to me even though one pic is in the garage.
    9. When transporting, you really need to know about the tires and hubs or you may find out on the way home.

I am just trying to think of things I would look for.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WStorey View Post
    I don't think they made the Puma in 03
    I thought it was an 05 when I looked.

11. Member
    The serial number is visible in your attached photos, but not legible. It is directly below the rub rail and inline with the trailer tail light. As mentioned, it is same color as the hull. You can write it down and call BassCat. They can identify everything about the boat from that serial number.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchdiggerjcfII View Post
    I thought it was an 05 when I looked.
    3rd post of the thread he says the title says 03
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

13. Banned
    My bad

Quote Originally Posted by Gillsandtines10 View Post
    Awesome, thanks again! I’m assuming it’s a cougar with it having seat storage and it says it’s a 20.5’ boat but iv never seen one that doesn’t have it on the side of the boat on the top cap… Is there a way with an 03 cougar to get hours of the motor without taking it somewhere … didn’t know if that modeled logged it on one of the gauges
    If it’s a Mercury, install a Mercury VesselView Mobile module. At around $200.00 it’s bargain for all it does. And it’s very easy to install. Took me 20 minutes to install mine on an 07 OptiMax and get it connected to BT on my phone. Connects within 20 seconds after the ignition is turned On.
    Gives you fault codes, engine hours, and a host of engine information (RPM, Engine Temperature, etc.). And helps you keep up with the OB scheduled maintenance. One of the best values for the money I’ve bought in a long time.
    5ADB08BF-2425-4B15-B32E-2125FA816E3F.jpegA2D66282-E534-4DE2-A31F-05A9A512C3EF.jpeg
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

15. Member
    Really appreciate you guys and the help! Unfortunately I had to work all week and it sold before I could make the trip , guess I’ll go back to my original plan on holding off until the winter , appreciate it !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12