Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    I'll take it, you're not of the belief that a good tight set of straps won't make it "one" even before a wreck.

Yes sir. You summed it up very well.

As I mentioned above people should use the type they prefer but some may not want to use the "one" theory as justification....

2. Member
    Youve got better eyes than me if you can see what kind of transom saver.
    I don't see straps or a saver.lol

3. Member
    I got hit by a U-Haul in 2015, and sent sliding into the solid concrete divider wall. Can't believe they kept mine on the trailer. But the U bolts about pulled out the boat. And the lying sorry shop that did repairs, did nothing to repair them. Just left them loose. I had to put new U bolts in my 10" jackplate. But they didn't fix alot. And with blown out, herniated, and bulging disc's I wasn't moving around good. And they were washing it. So didn't crawl around checking it all out. But I was surprised boat staid on trailer.
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 06-21-2022 at 06:11 PM.

The weakest link will fail in any accident. That may be the straps, the hooks or the eyelets. I've seen some nasty things on construction sites due to stress failures.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

5. Banned
    Sickening!!

6. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I read often on the "what are the best transom savers?" threads people say that the old style are better because it makes the boat one with the trailer. It didn't in this case. Really no hard impact and it still came loose.
    no hard impact??? in your line of work i'm surprised you haven't seen what happens when those cable highway dividers are contacted at highway speeds... i'd bet bank that if shown, the other side of that boat is basically ripped to shreds and gone...

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    no hard impact??? in your line of work i'm surprised you haven't seen what happens when those cable highway dividers are contacted at highway speeds... i'd bet bank that if shown, the other side of that boat is basically ripped to shreds and gone...
    We see what happens pretty often when they are contacted. We actually sat through an 6 hour class on those barriers about 3 months ago.

Saw what they can do when a young lady in a convertible contacted them at a high rate of speed.
    The top strand was hood high. You can imagine the rest.

Saw what they can do when a young lady in a convertible contacted them at a high rate of speed.
    The top strand was hood high. You can imagine the rest.

It's pretty interesting how they work. There are several types. Releasing tension is much easier on the newer types too which is a good thing.

10. Member
    I always thought the Transom straps were to keep the boat from bouncing off the bunks on rough roads..not so much to hold the boat in place in an accident..
    If the boats are taking out the Winch and keel bracket there probably isn't much hope for those straps...lol..
    I
    There have been a few guys that have lost boats around here on Icy roads during early tourney season down south or coming back from shows...
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

11. Member
    I totaled my Cherokee and the truck I hit. The boat stayed strapped. It was a 19 foot tin,Triton VT19. It pushed the front eye about an inch into the boat and caused small cracks on the transom.

12. Member
    the straps on the back and the winch rope are just for looks. I got in a head on and the boat ended up in the box and on top of the cab. one straightened out, the other pulled out of the ratchet and the bow eye broke clean off.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

13. Member
    My 2000 Skeeter 20' got hit by a lady in a Ford Taurus and the boat flew right off the trailer like the straps weren't even there.

14. Member
    Looks like it went right over the front of the trailer. I know transom straps aren't that strong and I can see where a boat could get tossed off the side of the trailer, but you would think the bow post/roller/winch strap in combination with the transom straps would keep it from going forward so easily??

15. Member
    I’ve seen some transome stamps that are just cam buckle. The ones on the trailer I wrecked were ratchet. The width of a seat belt

16. Member
    I have followed boats with no tie downs and watched it leave the bunks/rollers when going over bumps etc.

17. Member
    Admittedly not bassboats, but here, pretty well everyone in our offshore fishing club has:

- a safety chain that goes from just below the winch to the bow eye, which stops rearward movement of the boat (required by law anyway), and
    - another chain with a turnbuckle that runs from the bow eye or the first chain rearwards to a lug on the trailer frame that prevents the boat going forward and over/through the winch post in the event of a sudden stop.
    In combination these 2 chains also prevent up/down movement of the front of the boat. Its pulled down firmly.

- a large at least 2-3” wide 2 ton or greater strength tie down across the stern or a pair of them at the transom down to the trailer. Holds the stern of the boat firmly down to the trailer.

When we tow the boats up the beach or offroad, a second HD strap is put across the boat midways.

More damage is done to hulls from bouncing on trailer rollers etc than any other factor.

18. dartag1829
    In a forward impact the rear straps do little since the are vertical. The front post is the only thing really stopping the boat. Force = Mass x Acceleration. a 3000 pound boat under a 20g deceleration would put 60k of force on the front post. Occupants in boats also feel the same forces. Sudden deceleration like hitting another wave of object will slow the boat. Occupants will remain in motion ( Newton's 2nd Law ). As said the best tie straps do is keep the boat from bouncing.

19. Member
    "i'm free and i'm waiting for you to follow me"......great choice of lyrics from The Who to accompany the video!

20. Member
    When I got hit in 2019, it wasn't the vehicle impact that broke my boat loose, it was when I was pushed off the road and hit a tree head on that caused the boat come off. Both back straps broke loose, as did the front. The only thing that kept the boat from ending up in the cab was that the winch post caught the bottom of the boat and cut into the fiberglass creating a lot of drag. This slowed the boat down and kept it lower that it only slammed into the bed, but not the cab of my truck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast