It's 5 O'clock somewhere.

Everyone has a swig, of your favorite drink be it tea or something stronger.

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Is it as dry at the top of Texas as it is here in north central, Mike?

Dryer than a popcorn fart.
    You see the CAST results from Hubbard ?
    The winning couple had a little over 39 pounds.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    32# won our club tournament there I think same day. I was on the wrong pattern ...

Sounds like the pattern I'm usually on.

6. Banned
    It's really dry in the Lubbock area too. Really bad, Alan Henry has good water still. Fish are deep, and to catch anything other than spots you will need to slow way down.

While the spots are still everywhere and you will catch those, I find myself often asking why they put the spotted bass in this lake.
    They eat all the bait fish the more prized large mouth would get. Maybe it's just me though, I just rather be after the large mouth.

I would like to see them turn loose some small mouth in there now they have some good water. I was told they did stock them in the beginning of stocking the lake when new, but they really had no water for those fish at that point.

I have never heard of anyone ever catching a smallie from Alan Henry either.

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Never caught a smallie there. Did catch some 17+" spots back in the early days after the lake opened. Was still in Plainview back then (early to mid 90s). Before they settled all the oil leases and could let the lake fill. You drove off the end of the ramp and turned around on the gravel. The creek was maybe 50' wide. Southwest of the dam was an orchard, chock full of spots.

8. Banned
    Yes, the ramp in the beginning was rough at times, the city did put down some sheets of the metal bar grating to help those without 4 wheel drive.
    They just left that grating in there also. I would have thought they would have pulled it out. It's just tax payer's money, no body worries about that.
    Those Oil lease issues you mentioned, I worked for ExxonMobil on those issues with the property we had in the flood plane.

We worked morning, noon and night non-stop darn near getting all those wells pulled, cemented in and cut and capped off 4' below the ground. It was like a foot race for us.

There was never any money to be made in that area. There was more political bs going on there with one of Lubbocks attorneys and a producer down there over 2 locations, supposedly the city never acquired. Tax payers picked up that tab to settle that with those two crooks.
    Still, it's a great lake, has some really good fish if guys would practice catch & release more...
    That would be a pretty big drive from Abilene, but you get there after the next big rain, it will be entertaining.

Edit: failed to mention, me and my just recently acquired 2001 TR21 Triton will be there when it does rain next time, with enough run off into the lake.
    Don't have my boat all rebuilt yet, but I have fished her a few times at Possum Kingdom Lake and keep working the kinks out.

I plan to do an all nighter, next rain to check-out what kinks show up with the TR21, and see what big Cats I can catch and shoot a few pix of and then release.

You should try and make it, I can put you on some real nice cats. I can even supply the live bait for these big fish. Use two different live baits.
    Perch if I can get them, those have been hard to come by unless you catch them yourself. Which is OK also except for the heat we have had lol.

Then the other bait that is easy to get and hearty as if on steroids, the Black Salties. They remind me of a croaker somewhat. I keep about 3-4 dozen of those on hand, made me a big bait tank here at the house, those Black Salties
    are waiting for the rain, and that 5'oclock somewhere to go and exercise those big fish.
    Last edited by Jeb_H; 06-24-2022 at 12:06 PM.

I`ll take some sweet tea, it is toasty down here

101 right now in big A.
    Just switched to the HARD stuff (sugar free gatoraide)

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Yeah, I remember a couple of city councilmen that were real dicks about the time they started charging to get in.

It's about 120mi from my house.

12. Banned
    It is 5' O Clock here in Texas and by the way it's hot here right now too. Been in my barn trying to get all the big stuff I still have, that I need to sell; and it's really hot in it.

I sure hope you guys have found a nice shade to have refreshments as I have. I am done today, I have had all I want and then some of this weather.
    The long range forecast shows nothing in site either, but my purple sage bush is all litte up right now and they all are around the area. Something is brewing, these purple sage bush knows something, they never do this unless something in the area is about to see some big change in the weather.
    I just hope it ain't hotter weather. If so, I may just dig my purple sage up if it's that lol.