Soft tip with backbone? MH rods

I own and have fished a lot of rods...enough that I have forgotten the actions of some of them.

I really like to see tip deflection easily as my bait starts to hang on a rock, stick, bottom, etc so looking for a line of rods (or a couple in the series) that have soft tips and then plenty of backbone and are not glass or composite cranking type rods as obviously those would be soft but looking for a jig/Trig type rod or a great versatile to throw spinnerbaits.

Prefer 250ish price range but can go up a little if needed.

Appreciate the insight you can share.

THANK YOU
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

2. Member
    I just got a Megabass Levante Perfect Pitch and had it out this past weekend. It has what I would consider to be a softer tip but still has a lot of backbone. The other rod I have owned that was similar was a GLoomis GLX 844MBR, but that is quite a bit higher than your $250 price point.

3. Member
    Look at St. Croix. The victory lineup will come in under your price range and have several models that fit your needs. I personally have the 7'3" HMF Flip'n model and really enjoyed using it. Prior to getting a new LTB rod that's now my dedicated flipping rod I was using the 73HMF and always felt like I got a solid hookset and had the power to get the fish out and a nice soft tip for casting and feeling the bite. I was skeptical of the MF action at first, but for up close fishing it was really nice to have. I didn't rip the hook out and if they made a run at the boat I was always able to keep good tension on it. I've heard of people using the rod for big spinnerbaits, frogs, chatterbaits and 1/2OZ paddle tails on it. Personally I've flipped jigs and tossed a buzzfrog on it and its worked well for both. If you want to spend more look at the LTB, everyone is raving about how great this rod line is. I have the 73HXF "power finesse" and love the rod for pitching and flipping. Feels very comfortable in the hand, balances well and is very sensitive. Definitely a step up from the victory line.
    Last edited by buzzzzbait88; 06-22-2022 at 12:10 PM.

4. Member
    I can even go to 400/rod if needed to get what looking for as have quite a few zbones, Heliums, K2s, cumaras (gen 1), few exprides and zodias...and a few other rods that I could sell to justify if need be.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

5. Member
    Ark invoker pro 7'3 MH REGULAR action. This is my go to all around rod everything from open water frogs spinnerbait buzzbait and jigs 1/2 oz and lighter at $150 it cannon be beat. Fishes way above it's price. I think it's more sensitive and better balanced than my Loomis imx

6. Member
    Lamiglas SI or Infinity Bass rods have soft tips. My 7'3" casts really well too. Here are 2 reviews that both mention the tips, they are the only reviews on TWH.

"Believe it or not, the tip is so soft you can feel the blades turning beautifully. Also, it has backbone to handle the biggest bass you'll hook. "

"
    One thing to note: they do tend to have a softer tip than your " average" rod. This being said they seem similar to the original Garry Loomis blanks. Soft tip for greta casting but a serious backbone for moving and directing the fish you catch. "

7. Member
    I think you’d be happy with the MBR line of G Loomis either 843/844 depending on lure weight. Made in multiple lines to fit any budget and can also find them on sale / used occasionally.

8. Member
    There is a G Loomis GLX 843 in the rods for sale that would do the trick.

9. Member
    As said above the MBR 843 is one sweet rod. I have several from the IMX to the Conquest. For what your talking about a soft tip and plenty of backbone I really like the older IMX and GLX 843. I prefer the older version over the newer

10. Member
    If you want a soft tip section, then the rod you are looking for is the new redesigned St Croix Legend Tournament Bass 7’3” Heavy XF (Power Finesse).

Fast action tips are soft, moderate tips are medium, and slow action tips are hard.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitario Lupo View Post
    Fast action tips are soft, moderate tips are medium, and slow action tips are hard.
    At least that is the way it is supposed to be....