Point One Swings Heading while accelerating/decelerating

Point 1 is calibrated and accurate when speed is steady. However when accelerating the point one swings to the left and when decelerating the point one swings to the right. Has anyone seen this?

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    Point 1 is calibrated and accurate when speed is steady. However when accelerating the point one swings to the left and when decelerating the point one swings to the right. Has anyone seen this?
    Same here. Believe it has to do with the angle of the antenna when getting on plane

3. Member
    Typically related to the wires for your outboard being to close to the P1. When you accelerate the voltage in those wires increases, leading to the magnetic field around the wires increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Typically related to the wires for your outboard being to close to the P1. When you accelerate the voltage in those wires increases, leading to the magnetic field around the wires increasing.
    Hmmmmm....no wires by mine

5. Member
    I've had a similar thought, so let's walk through this. Ignition, speedometer, and trim should be the only wires going from the console area to the motor correct? Of those the only wire that should have a change in voltage would be the speedometer. My speedometer is currently broken and not displaying any speed, which makes me believe the wire voltage shouldn't be changing. However, it could be that the gauge is bad. Can I unplug the speedometer and remove voltage from the sending wire?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Same here. Believe it has to do with the angle of the antenna when getting on plane
    I've had a similar thought. Seems like everyone would be complaining about this if the antenna changing angles was the cause.

7. Member
    I've had a similar thought, so let's walk through this. Ignition, speedometer, and trim should be the only wires going from the console area to the motor correct? Of those the only wire that should have a change in voltage would be the speedometer. My speedometer is currently broken and not displaying any speed, which makes me believe the wire voltage shouldn't be changing. However, it could be that the gauge is bad. Can I unplug the speedometer and remove voltage from the sending wire?
    Voltage in the ignition-wire(s) jumps as voltage in the battery jumps with the increased charging.

On many typical boats used for angling (mine included) the ignition wire runs in the gunnel right under where most of us put the P1 (again, me included). Photo from test-mounting my P1:

In my case I used led-tape under the P1 to shield it from the cables running an inch or two below it. Led-tape is typically used in golf to balance the clubs so you find it in any shop selling golf-equipment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    Voltage in the ignition-wire(s) jumps as voltage in the battery jumps with the increased charging.
    I left out that once I am done accelerating the heading will swing back to correct. Since that's the case, could it still be the ignition wire? Wouldn't the voltage from the increase in charging be the same once I am at max speed? If so, why would it swing back to correct heading?

Did you put the lead tape on the bottom of the point 1 or on the top inside of the gunnel?

My point 1 is set up similar to yours.

Thanks for all the discussion so far, very helpful.

I left out that once I am done accelerating the heading will swing back to correct. Since that's the case, could it still be the ignition wire? Wouldn't the voltage from the increase in charging be the same once I am at max speed? If so, why would it swing back to correct heading?

Did you put the lead tape on the bottom of the point 1 or on the top inside of the gunnel?

My point 1 is set up similar to yours.

Thanks for all the discussion so far, very helpful.
    I watch charge levels constantly. Charge level does not do this. I can speed my rpms in neutral and up charge but it doesn't change my pt 1.
    G forces and angle change it. The compass has many sensors. Look in data under pt 1 and watch when accelerating.

10. Member
    I watch charge levels constantly. Charge level does not do this. I can speed my rpms in neutral and up charge but it doesn't change my pt 1.
    G forces and angle change it. The compass has many sensors. Look in data under pt 1 and watch when accelerating.
    So there is no way to fix it?

I haven't found any....all ears if you know

12. Member
    I haven't found any....all ears if you know
    Don't accelerate... Some things are sooooo simple!

My thought was to tilt the pt1 forward a bit and see if it helped but I haven't tried it.