oil not pressurizing from main.

2012 Mercury 150 optimax two stroke. The reserve tank isn't getting filled up from main. No Air leak from main to reserve. A few weeks ago I replaced the upper crankcase seal because I thought I had an oil leak. It ended up being from the air compressor. Could air be leaking from the upper crankcase seal that I put in? Could the crankcase check valve not be working? I am desperate to figure this out.
    Last edited by Aekupp; 06-21-2022 at 09:48 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Do you have access to a hand-operated gearcase pressure tester, OR a Mighty-Vac?

If so, disconnect the black line from the Crankcase Pressure Check Valve, and pressurize the hose to 6 psi. Watch to make sure it HOLDS the pressure.

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    This? https://www.harborfreight.com/mityva...8aAnkhEALw_wcB

If it doesn't hold the pressure does that mean the seal is the issue?
    Last edited by Aekupp; 06-21-2022 at 11:18 AM. Reason: more

4. Member
    Thank you sir. It ended up being deteriorated oil hose inside rigging tube. I should have known that.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As you found, if it doesn't hold pressure it simply means that there is a leak in the system, SOMEWHERE.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor