'94 176 repower question

I have a '94 176DC with a Mercury 115. I was recently out on the lake and when I restarted the motor it started knocking for a few seconds and then stopped and wouldn't start. After getting it back home, I pulled the plugs and found that the bottom cylinder had no compression. It is an old carbureted motor that was a pain to start and felt under powered. I could find a re manufactured power head and have it replaced but I don't really know how long before the lower unit might give problems and I would still be left with carbs that are a pain not to mention the oil tank is on the motor and is a poor design that leaks if you fill it and tilt the motor.

My son-in-law happens to work for Tohatsu and he can get me a new Tohatsu 140 4 stroke for around $9200. It's going to be about 100 pounds heavier but much more dependable and fuel efficient. My first question is, if I do this should I bother putting a jack plate on? I few years ago I found that my transom was rotted. I removed the old transom and poured a new one in. It feels solid as a rock and I have never been concerned about it's strength even when I had a talon hanging on it also but now things are running thru my mind wondering about how it will handle a 4 stroke back there. If a jack plate is recommended, anyone have a suggestion on which one to go with?

I figure after taxes, installation, new controls, some gauges and a prop I will be around 12k or less into it. I have found a nice 19' Champ and a 20' Skeeter in that same price range and really am leaning towards going with a bigger boat but my wife is opposed because they are older and you don't know about the engines where the Tohatsu will have a 5 year warranty so she wants to repower. I think that I would prefer rolling the dice and go larger.

That 140 straight on the transom should be great. I had a 135 Merc on my '89 176 and could hit 60+ GPS regularly. Great boats.
    Steve in Texas
    1999 ChampioN 203 DC
    2011 Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS
    Ultrex 36v 112# - 2 10" Helix - 1 10" Garmin for Livescope Plus

3. Member
    I would find a used motor, the 150 mag. Its the 200 hundred block with smaller carbs. I had that with the 150 merc., that's a good motor. With starting instructions the carbs were no problems for me. It's still going.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsdaddy View Post
    That 140 straight on the transom should be great. I had a 135 Merc on my '89 176 and could hit 60+ GPS regularly. Great boats.
    I am not a speed demon but that would be great. The 115 tops out at around 39 gps and is really slow at getting out of the hole. I had to remove the talon because it just caused too much drag and made it extremely hard to get on plane. The lake I fish is large and full of stumps so you have to travel in boat lanes and with some of these guys running 60-70+ whipping around you both directions it feels pretty dangerous when you are in a slow boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo30 View Post
    I am not a speed demon but that would be great. The 115 tops out at around 39 gps and is really slow at getting out of the hole. I had to remove the talon because it just caused too much drag and made it extremely hard to get on plane. The lake I fish is large and full of stumps so you have to travel in boat lanes and with some of these guys running 60-70+ whipping around you both directions it feels pretty dangerous when you are in a slow boat.
    Sounds like Fork!
    Steve in Texas
    1999 ChampioN 203 DC

6. Member
    Yes Bigsdaddy, it is Fork. I have an RV out there and it has been murder going out there with no boat.
    I got a deal that I could not say no to so my boat is in the shop and they are putting a new Tohatsu 140 on it. It should be done next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo30 View Post
    Yes Bigsdaddy, it is Fork. I have an RV out there and it has been murder going out there with no boat.
    I got a deal that I could not say no to so my boat is in the shop and they are putting a new Tohatsu 140 on it. It should be done next week.
    That's awesome! I love Fork...of course! Let us know how that 140 does. Tight lines - Steve
    Steve in Texas
    1999 ChampioN 203 DC

8. Member
    I got the boat back Friday, took it to the lake to start the break in. That motor is a beast. It is so much more responsive, quieter and is going to be way faster than the tired old 115. Took 30 minutes before I bent the prop. Luckily it's just a cheap aluminum for the break in. I am going to really enjoy it. Fork is 7' low right now so we need some rain soon.