Hub temperature question

I have a 97 single axle Ranger trailer that I had a problem with brake caliper sticking and heating up enough to liquify bearing grease and coming out of dust cap. I replaced calipers and pads and have been keeping close eye on hub temperature. It has been consistently running about 30° above air temp. For example today air temp was 90° and checked hub temp after 45 minutes running at 60mph and was 118°. Am I ok running in summer with say even an air temp of a 100° and hub temp at 130°????

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    130F is cold for wheel bearing grease.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    What grease are you using?

4. Member
    Since new calipers and pads I'm running Lucas Marine grease currently. Don't know what was in it before.

5. Member
    Sounds like you’re fine. How are you measuring the temperature?
    Rad Brewer

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampseed View Post
    I have a 97 single axle Ranger trailer that I had a problem with brake caliper sticking and heating up enough to liquify bearing grease and coming out of dust cap. I replaced calipers and pads and have been keeping close eye on hub temperature. It has been consistently running about 30° above air temp. For example today air temp was 90° and checked hub temp after 45 minutes running at 60mph and was 118°. Am I ok running in summer with say even an air temp of a 100° and hub temp at 130°????
    My brake hubs run about the same 30 degrees over with light braking, but they'll run significantly hotter after a good hard brake. I always check against my truck rotors and like to see them within 10ish degrees there, I've seem them all as high as 160-170 after a hard stop. Any decent bearing grease won't have an issue with those temps.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I fish 4 Bass View Post
    Sounds like you’re fine. How are you measuring the temperature?
    Infrared temp gun