Any more left? 2007 Triton 21X HP/ 250

I bought it used and I've been going through it sorting out pretty much everything.

2007 Triton 21 X HP, Mercury 250 Optimax XS, 26 fury 3 blade prop, 10" hydraulic jack plate and dual 8' poles, 4 31 AGM batteries. The prop was cleaned up this past winter, but it was the last time it could be touched, evidently it is on its last life as far as reworking it is concerned. (Propeller Dynamics)

Full tank of fuel, me (270lbs) GF (117lbs) full load otherwise with the live wells empty PTP 1 1/2 below, JP gauge on 4 ( see my cheat sheet below) chine walk so bad it's sketchy and stopped at 68 or so. I've done this so many times I can't count after being told it liked 4 on the gauge the best by the previous owner. I only started trying different settings to see what the weight of the new batteries did to the hole shot and ride.

same as above, PTP 3/4 below, JP gauge on 5 5800/ 5900 RPMs, chine walk easily managed 70.6

same as above PTP 1 1/4 below, JP gauge on 4.5 5800/5900 rpms, chine walk easily managed 72.2

I calculated the slip, it came out to 12% if I did it correctly. Other than running it light with less fuel, is that all she has in her? I read where everyone says to run it deeper, but deeper is violent chine walk that I can't eliminate with driving. I've driven plenty of sketchy stuff and willing to try most anything, but I just don't see better performance running it deeper with more chine walk like I've experienced. Other prop choices? I read a lot of good results 25 and 26 Tempest plus, and I'll be in the market for something probably sooner than later.

PTP.jpg

2. Member
    I have the same boat and when set up right, she will fly! With that being said, that particular hull like a tempest prop and likes the bow high. 2 1/2" below pad is the sweet spot for that boat/hull. The fastest prop will be a balanced and blue printed 27p Tempest +. The best overall prop will be a B&B'd 26p Tempest+. A 26p Fury will also be a good choice. You have a rocket of a boat you just need to play around with different measurements to find the sweet spot. That boat will chine walk, no way around it however, with more seat time, you will learn to prevent it before it starts and soon you will be easily in the mid to high 70's. I have had mine at 80 a couple of times and she will run 75-76 any day of the week! Good luck!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidebassin' View Post
    I have the same boat and when set up right, she will fly! With that being said, that particular hull like a tempest prop and likes the bow high. 2 1/2" below pad is the sweet spot for that boat/hull. The fastest prop will be a balanced and blue printed 27p Tempest +. The best overall prop will be a B&B'd 26p Tempest+. A 26p Fury will also be a good choice. You have a rocket of a boat you just need to play around with different measurements to find the sweet spot. That boat will chine walk, no way around it however, with more seat time, you will learn to prevent it before it starts and soon you will be easily in the mid to high 70's. I have had mine at 80 a couple of times and she will run 75-76 any day of the week! Good luck!!
    Thanks, I'll be shopping around a bit for a 26 or 27 Tempest and go from there, I figure the current Fury 26 will hold me over til I get the next one. Thank you for your response.

4. Member
    27 Tempest on the way, See how it does and post an update. My local prop guy said go 27 tempest because of how fast I was turning the 26 Fury and figured a 26 Tempest would turn to fast.

5. Member
    Ran the 27 Tempest yesterday. Lost quite a bit on the hole shot compared to the Fury 26. It gained a few mph, GPS 74.2, exact same as the first post, but could only turn it 5500/ 5600 full trim. I took the plugs ( small hole plugs , not completely closed) out to try to improve the hole shot, but it would blow out no matter the jack plate height so I put them back in. It would almost try blow out if the jack plate was set high too when it broke over on plane. Ran good in the mid range and I took a pretty good ride cruising in the 55/65 mph range. Response in the mid range was pretty good, lots of wake boats and ski boats on Buggs Island today with plenty of wakes and obstacles to avoid.

26 Tempest plus is next to try.

6. Member
    You should be faster than that unless your prop needs some work. You probably need to raise your motor up because you should be able to turn that 27 Tempest and that 26 fury to 5800 rpm's.
    The biggest problem you might have is those 31 4 AGM batteries. The higher you can run the motor prop to pad the easier it is to drive that's why you had trouble with it when the motor was mounted low. I can't drive my Tr 21 when the motor is below 2.5 under and it's fastest when it's at 2" under.

7. Member
    It would turn the Fury 26, 5900 no problem. The Tempest 27 ( brand new out of the box) it just didn't turn the rpms the same. I went as high as 3/4 below pad yesterday, not much more height I can give it. The jack plate is hydraulic, I did a bunch of runs and hole shot shots trying different heights to see what it liked the best, 1 1/4 to 3/4 below pad is what it seemed to like best, I could drive it, clicked off the best speed and didn't blow out but didn't turn up as high on the rpms.

8. Member
    Is that 27 tempest new or used?

9. Member
    New

10. Member
    26 Tempest Plus out of the box ran pretty good and easy to drive. I had to keep the partially open plugs in or it would blow out as it came on plane. Hole shot is pretty decent. Full load 5900/6000 rpms 72mph on the GPS. It liked 2.5 PTP the best and reduced the chine walk a bunch. I could run the jack plate up and down, no change on the top end at all. 72, 72, 72, 72

I'm trying a new out the box 3 blade Fury 26 today. The one I started with was unknown, worn and had been repaired a few times. So at least I get to try one with a known history.

11. Member
    26 Fury out the box, same load except I had a friend with me vs my GF, he weighs in around 240. 74.8 mph/ 5700 rpm, hole shot is better than the Tempest and so was the top end. Chine walk easily managed.

Dropped my friend off to make a solo run with a tad more than half a tank of fuel, 77mph, same rpm, right at 5700, PTP 1 1/4". It hung at 75.2 PTP in the 2 1/4" range, raise the jack plate a bit and thats when it picked up to 77mph.

Question if anyone knows, a Fury 25 would pick up roughly 2-300 rpms? would that equal more mph's?

12. Member
    I'd bet your tach is off 200-300 rpm's now and your actually turning 5950 rpm's. When the pro's ran those boats they usually did 80+ loaded.

13. Member
    Maybe so, but it's not the factory tach. It's an Autometer Marine, it isn't anywhere near an entry level gauge.

The only thing I haven't done is compare the GPS speed on the speedometer, to the SOG on the Lowrance unit. I've been using the GPS speedometer for the measurement. If there is a difference, not sure which one would be considered more accurate.