Benchmark Trailer Wiring Issues

So I picked up my new 2022 CX21 back in mid May. On the original trip home after picking up my new boat, the trailer lights/wiring all seemed to work fine. After launching and loading the first time, my truck (2021 Ford F-350 Super Duty) is flashing a dash signal that say's left trailer light fault. And when I turn the blinker on for the left light, the blinker light is twice as fast as the right on my truck dash. When I go to the back of the boat, the left trailer tail light is blinking at the proper speed. When I unhook the trailer from the truck, everything on the truck is working properly (so no Ford bashing). I ran into another new Caymas owner at the boat ramp this past Sunday. We got to BSing about the boat and he mentioned he was having trailer light issues. Just so happens he also has a newer Super Duty and his dash warning is the same as mine. My thoughts is that it's a loose or not properly bonded ground wire. Anybody else have this issue with the Bencmark trailer?

2. Member
    No problems with mine at all but mine is a 2021 model. I would see your dealer and let him track it down if he is close by.

3. Member
    You may need a heavvy duty flasher. They plug right is and easy to remove and replace. Usually located under the dash but on these new vehicles it could be under the hood and possibly close to whereever the fuse box is located.
    CAYMAS1

4. Member
    I'd connect another truck, in 1/2 ton like f150 or z71 type, to verify the benchmark trailer is not the problem. Might just be truck issue.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    I'd connect another truck, in 1/2 ton like f150 or z71 type, to verify the benchmark trailer is not the problem. Might just be truck issue.
    I don't feel that it's a truck issue, since I towed my previous Triton 21TRX thousands of miles with zero issues with this truck. I will try connecting to my buddies Z71 and see what happens. I still think that it's a ground or possibly a tail light that is possibly getting water intrusion. For the record, I love my new CX21/Mercury 250 ProXS. The Benchmark trailer does tow nice and I have no issues unloading/loading. However, the trailer is not up to par in quality for sitting under such a great top of the line boat. The winch is junk (going to replace w/ Fulton F2), Caymas stickers fell off the side rails, reflectors on the side of the bow roller winch stand fell off and the carpet grade on the bunks could be of better quality. To fix a problem, you have to acknowledge there is a problem. To many negative reviews in this forum on the Benchmark trailers, I hope Caymas works with them to improve quality or find a different trailer supplier.

6. Member
    stein411, agree with you assessment of the Benchmark trailer. I have a 2017 F250, son has a 2020 F250 and the trailer lights act up when plugged into either truck, winch as well as bunk carpeting are trash, front roller is coming apart trailer also seems to have a fair amount of flex to it. These are just a few of the things I have noticed on my 1 year old trailer (bought new 6/18/21). Like you said I would hope that Caymas would work with Benchmark to improve their trailer or look for a better option. Some potential buyers could choose another boat brand if they are in between Caymas and another brand simply based on the quality of the trailer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbonner View Post
    stein411, agree with you assessment of the Benchmark trailer. I have a 2017 F250, son has a 2020 F250 and the trailer lights act up when plugged into either truck, winch as well as bunk carpeting are trash, front roller is coming apart trailer also seems to have a fair amount of flex to it. These are just a few of the things I have noticed on my 1 year old trailer (bought new 6/18/21). Like you said I would hope that Caymas would work with Benchmark to improve their trailer or look for a better option. Some potential buyers could choose another boat brand if they are in between Caymas and another brand simply based on the quality of the trailer.
    Thanks, thought maybe I was the only one a little unhappy with the quality of the Benchmark trailer. I just hope these complaints are getting back to the folks that have the authority to make the changes. My dealer, Nixon's Marine is one of the best and I know they'll take care of me but these are things the dealer shouldn't have to fix.

8. Member
    Understand. I did have to clean and fix on back of trailer a ground wire once by back near the rear light. Also had to redo a connection in the mess of wires they have hanging back there cause of using sub power connectors. They use the cheap press on type.

9. Member
    Let's just say everyone knows of the cheap stickers being used. My stickers fell off first day I got boat. New stickers if reordered will also fall off in right conditions. The ones that came off were on the lighted step. Need laser cut in metal instead. This has been happening for years with stickers.

If it’s flashing fast then there is a high load/resistance In that circuit. Not totally sure about ford but most manufacturers haves used flashers in a long time. It’s part of the BCM usually
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    If it’s flashing fast then there is a high load/resistance In that circuit. Not totally sure about ford but most manufacturers haves used flashers in a long time. It’s part of the BCM usually
    Can you expand on this? Why would this only affect the left blinker, the right blinker is working properly?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billproxs View Post
    Let's just say everyone knows of the cheap stickers being used. My stickers fell off first day I got boat. New stickers if reordered will also fall off in right conditions. The ones that came off were on the lighted step. Need laser cut in metal instead. This has been happening for years with stickers.
    It’s certainly nothing new, had it happen several time on Triton trailers and had the entire plastic piece blow out. I guess I’ve been lucky, had three benchmark trailers and not an issue, load easy etc. fixing to have my fourth next month.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    It’s certainly nothing new, had it happen several time on Triton trailers and had the entire plastic piece blow out. I guess I’ve been lucky, had three benchmark trailers and not an issue, load easy etc. fixing to have my fourth next month.
    I agree. I've had 5 Tritons and never had a decal or sticker fall or come off. Got lucky. First caymas none came off. Second caymas all trailer stickers came off.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    The winch is junk (going to replace w/ Fulton F2), Caymas stickers fell off the side rails, reflectors on the side of the bow roller winch stand fell off and the carpet grade on the bunks could be of better quality. To fix a problem, you have to acknowledge there is a problem. To many negative reviews in this forum on the Benchmark trailers, I hope Caymas works with them to improve quality or find a different trailer supplier.
    As far as the decals goes even Ranger has had their share of decals coming off both on trailers and boats. It's not the decals it's the folks putting them on, someone gets in a hurray and don't prep the surface good and just slap them on, seen this many times on a lot of brands. Ranger has had all kinds of problems with their trailers such as axles and hubs also, none are immune from these kinds of things going on.

15. Member
    Looks like a trip back to my dealer to fix/repair a few issues. Gentlemen, I meant no disrespect. I hold myself to an extremely high standard and expect the same from others, manufacturers and businesses that sell to the consumer. I have no plans to lower my standards and expectations - yes I'm anal.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    This is probably the cause. I'm also not familiar with ford, but it could be high or low resistance in the circuit being detected by the BCM. The fast blink is just a programmed indicator that there is a problem. Small leak to ground or a ground making poor contact. I'd check connectors associated with the left turn signal lights for any signs of overheating or poor contact, as well as any ground straps nearby.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS

17. Member
    I have occasionally had this issue happen with my 2021 Ford F150 with my Caymas CX20 Pro hooked to the back. I found that by ensuring that the trailer connector that plugs into the truck is really snug fitting, this issue goes away. It does pop up every now and again.

18. Member
    Update on wiring issues for all of you Super Duty owners. My dealer could not diagnose an issue with my trailer wiring. Picked up my boat and headed down the road. Within a mile of leaving my dealer, my trailer lights started acting up again and I kept getting the "Left Turn Signal Fault" on the dash of my Super Duty. After arriving home I crawled under the trailer and found a ground that was loose. I also noticed that my trailer plug was not seating very snug to the receptacle on my truck. I took a small slot screwdriver and bent the connection prongs on the trailer plug inward for a tighter fit. I also took 3M Super 88 black electrical tape and put 3 wraps around the O.D. of the plug. This really helped tighten up the fit. Took the boat and trailer for a 10 mile drive and everything seems to be working correctly.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stein3411 View Post
    Update on wiring issues for all of you Super Duty owners. My dealer could not diagnose an issue with my trailer wiring. Picked up my boat and headed down the road. Within a mile of leaving my dealer, my trailer lights started acting up again and I kept getting the "Left Turn Signal Fault" on the dash of my Super Duty. After arriving home I crawled under the trailer and found a ground that was loose. I also noticed that my trailer plug was not seating very snug to the receptacle on my truck. I took a small slot screwdriver and bent the connection prongs on the trailer plug inward for a tighter fit. I also took 3M Super 88 black electrical tape and put 3 wraps around the O.D. of the plug. This really helped tighten up the fit. Took the boat and trailer for a 10 mile drive and everything seems to be working correctly.
    All the years i worked selling boats it was 9 out of 10 times a ground somewhere causing electrical issues when a customer came in with light problems.